People who don't grade past 1st degree black belt?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Yet still continue to train. Is it common? Supposing one does not have any inclination to teach, what would be the justification paying conciderable amounts of money for a mere number denoting ones belt?

Is it an ego thing? Even gradings as it is seems meaningless since our classes are not separated by belts. It doesn't effect the training sessions. And even in the event of switching schools, there are no separate classes for 2-5 degree black belts compared to first degree. At least the option to compete against other back belts is available with a first degree black belt.

3. Shawchert

Shawchert New Member

If I read this right, you mean a black belt who continues to pay for training with other students, then it's probably for the social interaction, to stay fit, and to keep on top of ones skills. People like this don't care what degree they are, they just do it because they like it. That's how i see it.

4. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

No, I am asking IF those people exist in large numbers. I haven't come across any black belt who stopped gradings at first degree, even though there is no reson for those particular individuals to grade besides an ego thing.

5. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

Now you do, I'm one of them. I don't have desire to pursue career requires higher black belt degree (referee, national coach, etc.), I only need it to be at least respected that I'm the instructor in my own school (the gap between red and black belt is too big). From technical POV, there's nothing significant between black belt degrees, on which you can learn patterns for higher degree yourself, regardless what degree you are now. Therefore, I find getting higher degree means nothing to me. And no, I don't train with other black belts, I'm self taught since my last instructor gave his school to me, so I don't spend any money (well, ever since I became his assistant, I never paid anything to train anyway).

6. Evildwarf

Evildwarf Member

I'm also a 1st degree who has no goals to advance in levels any time soon.
    I'm proud of my achievement but the black belt status allows me access to everything I want from TKD.
    I can train with and compete against black belts regardless of level...so I continue to learn but do not have a any wish to drop money into a test for a new belt....the belt does not make the martial artist.
    In tournaments I suppose being a 1st degree for several years might give a person an advantage in a ring organized by rank but competition is not really my thing right now either .
    Maybe I will test again someday but for now I'm challenged and enjoying my training.
    Martial arts is such an individual thing, each person sets their own goals...
    My Muay Thai coach put it best when he said "everything depends on your intent, why are you learning, what is your goal in learning an art?" He is so right....my goal from white belt day one was to wear a black belt...now my goal is to become the best martial artist that I can be...I train to the highest level and put out the greatest effort I can every time I'm on the mat...the black belt status doesn't make me anything in and of itself.

7. Matt

Matt Member

This idea of stopping at black belt has always puzzled me. Our school teaches that black belt is the beginning of your true training and that the color belts are laying the foundation. My school sees many people come up through the color belt ranks and quit, usually because of other sports in the way or financial reasons. For those that continue past black but have no drive to open a school or become a master, I think it is deeply rooted in the social aspect and the physical fitness Taekwondo provides, or any martial art for that matter. Personally, I want to open my own school someday so I have continued my gradings and I will continue to as long as I can. Currently, I am 3 years away from my 5th dan exam and the following year I will graduate grad school, at that point I hope to open my school.

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Yeah I know. I would't rule out instructing either. A lot of things I see that could make TKD more practical. But Taekwondo is pretty much under the radar nowdays and my main instructor already has back ups with 5 Dans. If it was in the 80s when everybody interested in martial arts took TKD or Karate, then it would be more justified.

9. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

People who quit at 1st Keup are way more common.

People who don't grade after 1st dan (or any other dan grade for that matter) are very much a minority.

The further grading process is not an ego thing as you seem to want to think Pleonasm. It is a regular timed window at which the participant restates and reiterates their current understanding of the art they practise. This forces the issue of self measurement, development and progression of understanding.

What and how you learn and are taught changes very much as you progress. Staying at 1st dan does not support the self-development process, or the development of the student-instructor relationship, which is critical and integral to the art.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk