Potential scoring changes

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Sparring' started by Ted Martin, Nov 2, 2014.

?

What do you think

1. Good change

83.3%
  2. Bad change

16.7%
  1. Ted Martin

Ted Martin Member

3. Ted Martin

Ted Martin Member

Maybe we can focus on the body instead of the head play that happens in today's games.

4. Ted Martin

Ted Martin Member

I really thought this would have stimulated more conversation

5. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

So, an extra point for a spinning kick to the body compared to the current scoring system?

It might bring back kick back into the limelight, which would be great, but the technology would need to support it.

Trouble is, this all makes judging and scoring more complex.

6. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

If complex is allowed, I'd like to see this - 1 point for head or body electronically detected, with solid contact above a certain threshold (electronically measured via eHogu and Headgear accelerometer) electronically awarded a further point. Turn kicks are that way accounted for as they are more powerful anyway, and headkick motivation comes from the chance of a KO.

Also punches 1 point with an extra point for power.

No corner judges. Referee free to concentrate on safety only.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    Rugratzz likes this.
  7. Matt

Matt Member

Okay so scoring these days is just ridiculous.... They changed scoring from the old methods (one point for body, two points for head) because it was found to be too boring at the olympic games. Competitors were winning by 1 or 2 points and had thrown 500000 kicks. They needed to change the point system to make it look "cooler". Instead of winning by 1 point know people win with like 15. These new changes also put a lot more focus on hitting the head which is now worth 3 points and four if you spin. This creates for more action once started, but also more hesitant fighters. It also has created the lead leg predicament which was never a problem when I was a younger fighter. As a referee you need to corner judges if video recording isn't being used, which it is not at most local and smaller events. At large events like Olympics or worlds, you may not need them. In general I would love to just go back to the old scoring methods to be honest.

8. They might also add an Extra Point for Jumping. :O 540 roundhouse to the head would be 5 points. But people might just look like they're trying to score on Pogo Sticks, also. There's always: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

9. How 'bout them changes?

10. Nik Cannon

Nik Cannon New Member

what about punching?, it seems to be virtually forgotten, yet can be quite devastating in close quarters, instead we get the comical situations that look like penguins trying to fight.

11. I've seen a lot of punches thrown and scored. You know what I haven't seen is competitors blocking punches. Come on now! You can see it coming but do nothing about it.

Matt likes this.
  12. Matt

Matt Member

Punches are very hard to block in olympic style sparring. If you are talking about point sparring it is slightly easier. However, either way it can be complicated to block a punch and make it so it does not look like an attack to an illegal target.