practical application for chon ji any opinions ?

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by michael mckenna, May 2, 2014.

1. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

ok so ive been thinking of practical applications for the first two movements of chon ji and i was think if the attacker is grabbed your should with both hands maybe going to head but you or with you with knee, the first block could possibly break his grip on the left side of your shoulder, then the punch which while being extended could grab onto the attack neck and trip him up with the round leg movement and produce a takedown. now if anyone doesnt understand i could maybe do a quick clip of a video to show you what i mean, assuming i have a willing volunteer lol

also on a side note what type of applications have you found for the first two movements of chon ji ?

2. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

Mid snap kick attack.....is the most common for a low block. Do a video, I'd be happy to have a look. good luck with finding a victim...er volunteer

3. michael mckenna

yeh thats the most obvious one but i thought it would be cool to think of another, and yeh i think i have to bribe a friend of mine with beer though lol

4. Anthony Hayward

Anthony Hayward Active Member

Michael, You could use the first movement of Chon-Ji as a release from a bear hug from behind and into a takedown.

Person has grabbed you from behind wrapping both arms around you. Your arms are on the inside of theirs.

Use the preparation of the low section block to give yourself some movement in your arms (i.e. start to bring your hands up to the cross position) , this will also allow you to start to rotate your body to the left.
    As you rotate, take your left leg and place it behind both their legs (You will have to rotate more than the 90 degrees). Now you should be almost facing them with your left leg behind their legs. With your left arm now perform the low block across their chest and down in the blocking motion. They should roll across your leg and end up on the ground. You will have to muck around with the positioning of your left behind theirs to find the best position for you. I guess the step forward and punch (movement 2) could be you running away. lol. If you get stuck I can always do a quick video for you.

Taekwon

5. michael mckenna

that sounds cool thank you sir

6. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

And no shortage of volunteers!

7. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

And no shortage of volunteers!

8. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0804832188?pc_redir=1398521696&robot_redir=1 This book is worth reading if you're into pattern applications.

Those two movements make a great block (with the chamber motion), bladder strike (with the low block) and takedown (with the D-step forward and punch).

For this to work, move between 45 and 90 degrees outside the punching elbow of the oppo.

Or, the application could be to teach beginners how to low block in long stance.

9. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

I use it as a block/cover, then an unbalancing move then a punch. but there are alot more obviously