Proposed rules revision in wtf taekwondo competitions

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by tkdwarrior, Nov 5, 2014.

1. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior New Member

In watching recent taekwomdo competitions and managing the same, I cannot but help notice the deterioration of our techniques and the martial artness of this event that we all love.

May I suggest that a return to some of the old rules be implemented?

May I suggest that a plus factor power point of 2 additional points be given to a competitor who because he/she manages to stagger an opponent because of his/her technique or causes his/her opponent to be knocked down because of his/her technique.

This will return some of the proper execution techniques and at the same time minimize the "falling down" evasion tactics of many competitors.

Kindly forward my suggestion to whoever may have the power to act on it. Thank you;)

3. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

This would add complexity to the current rule, and it's hard to measure whether the impact comes from the power or miss stepping. Rather, I suggest giving minimum power to score head shot, just like how it's done to the body. The PSS system for head guards is still in development AFAIK, probably in beta testing period now. I don't know which tournament will be used to experiment, though.
    No need, the current rule already gives kyonggo to the falling down tactics.

4. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is unlikely as they are trying to remove subjectivity and the human element from scoring, not add to it.

5. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

Personally, I would like to see less emphasis on head shots, and add an element to scoring.
    You have 5 referees. I would like to see a point per round awarded to the more "agressive" fighter.

Take this any way you want, but I think this will hopefully curb (not eliminate) fighters playing 80-90 % defense in their fighting.

I prefer non subjective scoring. personally. I remember the 88 Olympics and seeing Roy Jones Jr. after dominating his fight losing gold because of subjective scoring. It was bad, so bad that the other boxyer apologized for the call. Here is this fromWikipedia.

• In a highly controversial 3–2 judge's decision, South Korean boxer Park Si-Hun defeated American Roy Jones, Jr., despite Jones pummeling Park for three rounds, landing 86 punches to Park's 32. Allegedly, Park himself apologized to Jones afterward. One judge shortly thereafter admitted the decision was a mistake, and all three judges voting against Jones were eventually suspended. The official IOC investigation concluding in 1997 found that three of the judges had been wined and dined by South Korean officials.This led to calls for Jones to be awarded a gold medal, but the IOC still officially stands by the decision, despite the allegations. Jones was awarded the Val Barker trophy, as the best stylistic boxer of the 1988 games, which was only the third and to this day the last time in the competition's history when the award did not go to one of the gold medal winners. A similarly controversial decision went against U.S. team member Michael Carbajal. These incidents led Olympic organizers to establish a new scoring system for boxing.

6. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior New Member

How can staggering your opponent be subjective? If your technique causes your opponent to stop due to pain and he or she is given an 8 count then as per my proposal a +2 point should be given. And if the your kick connects in an exchange and it registers on the daedo system and the other fighter falls, then a +2 power factor point should be given to you. Nothing subjective about that too.

7. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior New Member

It pains me to see competitors lose from fluffy head kicks when their kicks solidly connect to the body and the fluffy kicker just keeps falling, oh in relation to that I suggest that gamjeon penalties be given to competitors on the third falling down onwards. Hopefully that will encourage proper techniques in wtf taekwondo competitions.

8. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior New Member

In boxing we also had that treatment when our very own onyok velasco(Philippines) did not win a gold medal in the olympics.

I love this martial sport I was there when nobody knew what taekwondo was.

But these rule changes are really taking its toll on taekwondo plus the yearly revision of rules. That really mixes it up and does not encourage full mastery of the sport aspect of the martial art.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  9. Matt

Matt Member

I think scoring needs to back to how it was before all this electronic jazz entered the picture. Kicks just be executed correctly to the right part of the body, two judges must see ti and click in within .3 seconds of each other. In adult divisions head kicks should have to hit hard, not just touch. Kids divisions could still use the touch rule to keep them safe. half point deductions should be given for three offenses for falling then a full point. There is still way too much falling.