Punching in WTF sparring

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Sparring' started by Sobaka, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Sobaka

Sobaka New Member

Hello, i would like to know where I could use punches while i am sparring, because i would like to use them however they dont look very effective, would there be any point of using them or should I just stick to the kick and forget about punching?

GokuMexicano likes this.
  3. akisbat

akisbat Member

Of course you can punch ! But it must be a strong and well timed puch or else it means nothing.

Sobaka likes this.
  4. Doug

Doug New Member

Your opponent must deal with any good attack. If you throw a good punch, he must block or get scored upon. While he's blocking, go for another attack. Punches are very good if you find yourself in close to your opponent, where a kick wouldn't work.

Sobaka likes this.
  5. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Punches work best as a counter to a front leg kick from closed stance, or to a back leg kick from open stance. The punch needs to be combined with sensible footwork to ensure the kick is evaded and the arm is straight, and needs to be timed well to unbalance the opponent mid kick.

6. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

Since a long time ago, straight punch always have place in WTF sparring. Though weaker than kick, it consumes less energy to execute. It scores 1 when it gives visible impact, no idea why many coaches said it's useless or even prohibited. In fact, if you see the olympic games, many fighters score from punch. Of course this must be done at the right time because it's the power that makes it scores.

7. Sobaka

Sobaka New Member

Thank guys, next time ill try to use more punches in the correct time because before I didn't use them at all

8. At the AAU nationals this year, a guy in my division scored 8 times in one match with his punch, they were all well timed and used as a counter. It's definitely useful and if the judges are scoring it, it'll only add to your arsenal, so don't forget about it. It's becoming more common to score with as the reffing community becomes more in tune with what's expected of them by their association.

Sobaka likes this.
  9. JoeP

JoeP New Member

punching is very underutilized in this sport.

10. GokuMexicano

GokuMexicano Guest

I like to use punches while in close range. One way is when the other guy tries to get close, I punch to make distance and kick at the same time. The other way is when during a clinch I will repeatedly punch to hurt and cause pain, I do this to make the opponent let go, but it also makes most people loose their nerves. That's for my personal style but if you ask your instructor he should be able to teach you how to incorporate punching to your way of sparring.