Push ups

Discussion in 'The Dojang' started by RobGee789, Aug 23, 2014.

1. RobGee789

RobGee789 New Member

Hey guys I've been trying to start doing push ups ago improve upper body strength but when I put my hands down as my wrists bend they hurt is there any exercise that will help or stretches that will improve the flexibility in my wrists, I very had this pain when doing push ups for as long as I can remember so it's down to injury or strain but any tips would be great

2. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

Use dumbells to do your pushups.
    That is the squared off ones. Keeps your wrist in a neutral position.

RobGee789 likes this.
  3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

For improving wrist flexibility in the direction required for push ups:

Get on all fours, with your palms flat on the ground in front of your face, fingers pointing up.

With your arms locked straight, turn your right hand clockwise 180 degrees and your left hand counterclockwise 180 degrees, keeping your palms flat on the ground. You may need to shift your body weight forward to achieve this. Do not press down, and if it hurts, ease off the pressure. The amount of stretch is easily controlled by moving the body weight forward or back.

The aim of the exercise is to work towards moving the bodyweight back so the shoulders are farther back than the hands. This is over a period of months.

This stretches the muscles of the inside of the forearm and the bicep to allow greater range of motion backwards at the wrist for the hand.

There should never be pain when stretching. Take it slowly. Always warm up first - that means raising your heart rate for 10 minutes, not stretching.

4. RobGee789

RobGee789 New Member

Cheers mate I've been doing them on my fists but I want to get more movement in my wrists
    That sounds perfect mate you legend I'll give it a go and let you know how it goes
    Edit: just tried this and I can feel it working exactly where it should cheers mate

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  5. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

I used to be able to pop out 50 push ups with no problem. Now after separating my shoulder in training 20 or so and it starts to hurt like crazy.

6. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

I never had wrist problems when doing push ups, but in case needed, try to stretch it like you do on ankles. rotate it with increasing amplitude, start slowly.