Question about arm configuration while kicking

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I have never had shaking hands either. Weird..

2. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Isn't my supporting foot underrotated?

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Yes, and your heel should be down otherwise you have no stability or power. Your standing leg should be vertical. This means pushing your centre of gravity over your standing leg, otherwise you will fall away from anything you might make contact with. But you know this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

The reason you don't have these issues with the front leg is that your center of gravity is already forward.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

5. dvcochran

dvcochran New Member

This is a good question to ask and has a variety of answers. This is what I was taught and teach from at traditional TKD perspective. Take the arms/hands out of the mechanics of the kick. The torso rotation and core muscles are what create the opposing force to develop power (Yin and yang).
    Using a roundhouse (single kick, no follow up)as the example:
    If kicking with the right leg;
    The right shoulder is forward equal to hip rotation to develop power (this is person anatomy dependent)
    Torso Slightly crunched forward to engage core to develop power
    Not leaning back much at all (again, single kick), standing foot rotated about 45°

Hands - Probably the most common thing I see is "the invisible rope" seen especially in new students. As a person kicks with their right leg, they mentally "pull" the leg up by pulling their left hand/arm down roughly equal to the rise of the right leg. The result is the left hand being in a useless position and power being taken away from the kick.

I teach to simply keep the hands/arms & shoulders relaxed through as much of the kick as possible. Both hands up near a boxers level (never touching) during the kick. If the kick is delivered effectively, you should not need to be highly on guard until the leg is returning or you are stepping forward. At that point, with the hands already up and relaxed, you should be ready to counter accordingly to whatever your opponent does next.

I am an old guy with deep MDK roots. Back in the day we were taught to cross block. It is still very effective from a closed stance but can leave 'openings' when open to someone or very close in.

6. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Hi, It's an interesting debate. We weren't really told anything. If it's too much I suppose he would let us know but it appears that TaeKwonDo is NOT defined by how the hands are held and that this is very much down to lineage and school.

Anyway, since people have been noticing it and considered it more of a liability than strenght, I've been consciously trying to restrain my momentum from the arms while still trying to be explosive, in other words get the best of both worlds - dynamic acceleration and solid arm configuration

And it looks like this:

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I obviously can't load up in a sparring session against an experienced opponent so it will be a circumvent motion, but If you let me put everything I got into it... that's how it would look:)

8. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

Technical application of the turning kick requires the arm/torso to rotate in the opposite direction that the kick. If you are kicking with the right leg you will pull your right arm across your body, almost as if you are elbowing someone behind you.

During side kick, the standing leg starts bent and straighten during the kick, but remains soft.