Ready position for hyung

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by RTKDCMB, Jun 24, 2015.

1. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

I was thinking the other day (always dangerous:)) about the ready positions; A,B and C stances and the first movements of the individual patterns.

A Stance from Won hyo, first movement is a twin forearm block which starts from crossing the arms on the chest.

B stance from Chun gun and Toi gye, first movement is an inner reverse knife hand block and inner forearm block respectively which both start from crossing the arms with the blocking arm close to the hip.

C stance from Hwa rang, first movement is an inward palm block which starts from the hip.

In each case the first movement starts from about the save height as the hand position in the ready stance.

Thoughts?

2. Matt

Matt Member

well this makes sense from patterns it does not make sense for others. for example JunJi starts in parallel ready stance or ChumBi, but the first move is a down block so you have to raise your hands. I think personally that the ready stances were created by General Choi just for aesthetics but I could easily been wrong.

3. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

The first 3 patterns are very basic patterns so the trend might not start until Whon Hyo and after.

4. Anthony Hayward

Anthony Hayward Active Member

No this does not apply here..

If we look at Won-Hyo, Joong-Gun and Toi-Gye the "cross" positions are all at the same height.
    The wrist of the blocking hand, should be at the same height as the shoulders in the "cross" (Let me reaffirm this... the blocking hand is at the shoulder height not the cross position) even though the ready positions are different. I.e. A and B.
    You need to consider the primary block... I.e. the block in which way you are facing, therefore for Won-Hyo the primary block is the outer forearm block.
    When it comes to the "cross" the primary block always takes precedence of the secondary block. This is evident in which hand is on top or underneath in the cross position.
    Breaking this down, basically you are doing an outer forearm block in Won-Hyo and an Inner Forearm block in Joong-Gun and Toi-Gye (obviously Joong-Gun is knifehand).
    As all three blocks finish at the same height, the blocking hand "cross" positions are also at the same height.

You need to consider where the direction of force is required to make the most impact against the attack and this is where the height of the cross comes into play... This is very important... I see it all the time where people drop their hands in the cross position... This is because they don't totally understand or haven't been told correctly!!!!! Not their fault, their instructor has let them down.
    Now just to be picky... Incase someone picks me up on this...
    There is also a slight difference in height between the finish position of the first blocks in Joong-Gun and Toi-Gye... This is due to the blocking tool used. I.e. Reverse knifehand as opposed to an Inner forearm.
    Now I guess you could also say that the"cross" should be at a slightly different height... Not the case here.. As there is only minimal height difference in the end block position this is not necessary. Also we could also go into the discussion of when your hands get to high you start to cramp the shoulder which will slow the technique down etc, But that is a topic for another day.
    In the case of Hwa-Rang, the block is performed at shoulder height and the blocking hand starts at the height of the solar plexus not at the hips as you say. I am however relating my experience/knowledge to true ITF Taekwon-Do. The utilisation of sinewave corrects for the height difference.

For this first move, we perform the block to "D" position (In front).
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe at Rhee TKD you do a side palm strike for this first move (where the palm is facing to the right).
    If this was the case I would think that the blocking hand wouldn't come right back to the hips but be off to the front left side to align the direction of force to where it is required to go. I would still say that I would guess the height to still be at solar plexus height as you are moving from a closed stance to a sittings stance which is a lower position..

In the case of the ready positions you need to study the Korean history on the patterns to understand why they are as they are. They are not just for aesthetics. They have meaning.

One other thing that annoys me is the different pronunciations. What is Chun gun and JunJi.... The correct name for these is Joong-Gun and Chon-Ji. Also I have never heard of ChumBi... I am assuming you are meaning Junbi

Taekwon