Reflection

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Gnarlie, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

What lessons have you learned about yourself from practising TKD?

Are they negative or positive?

Do you try to change what is negative?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. Gazzer

Gazzer Active Member

That im starting to wonder if my back can take it anymore :( lower back is tense and stiff

Positive side I guess is I'm fairly fit and healthy for a 45 year old

TKD training for me is a stress free part of the day where I don't have to think about anything else. I just dont go in any competitions...

4. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Feeling that. Anything non-Taekwondo related transferred to life outside the dojang?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

5. Dan

Dan New Member

I did Kukkiwon TKD 25 years ago in college and earned my 1st Dan. It was a great stress relief and I learned a lot about self motivation. Basically it doesn’t matter if I am better then the other guy, as long as I am better than I was yesterday.

I was out of TKD for a long time, and now I am back in at a different Dojang that teaches Song Mo Kwan TKD. I got back into it because my Daughter wanted to learn “karate”. I looked at some of the schools in the area and liked how the instructors here worked with the kids. Since starting back (starting over?) I have learned many things...

1) shut up and listen. Just because things aren’t done how you remember them does not make this wrong. Don’t argue about how you used to do things. Just learn and add it to your body of knowledge.

2) some things that were “easy” when you were 25, are not as easy 25 years and 50lbs later. It takes time to relearn how to do things with an older and heavier body. Getting back in shape, and working on flexibility takes time, but it is well worth the effort. Perseverance pays off in time. When I started back, it was not unusual for me to have to take a knee and catch my breath during class, now I find myself doing that much less frequently, though some times I still do. When I started back I was having a hard time with high kicks (much over stomach level), now a year and a half later I am kicking people in the head when sparing.

3) like above, it doesn’t matter if I can do what I did in college, or if I am better than the other people in the class. It only matters that each day I am better then I was the day before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro