Reflection

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Gnarlie, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

What lessons have you learned about yourself from practising TKD?

Are they negative or positive?

Do you try to change what is negative?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. Gazzer

Gazzer Active Member

That im starting to wonder if my back can take it anymore :( lower back is tense and stiff

Positive side I guess is I'm fairly fit and healthy for a 45 year old

TKD training for me is a stress free part of the day where I don't have to think about anything else. I just dont go in any competitions...

4. Gnarlie

Feeling that. Anything non-Taekwondo related transferred to life outside the dojang?

5. Dan

Dan New Member

I did Kukkiwon TKD 25 years ago in college and earned my 1st Dan. It was a great stress relief and I learned a lot about self motivation. Basically it doesn’t matter if I am better then the other guy, as long as I am better than I was yesterday.

I was out of TKD for a long time, and now I am back in at a different Dojang that teaches Song Mo Kwan TKD. I got back into it because my Daughter wanted to learn “karate”. I looked at some of the schools in the area and liked how the instructors here worked with the kids. Since starting back (starting over?) I have learned many things...

1) shut up and listen. Just because things aren’t done how you remember them does not make this wrong. Don’t argue about how you used to do things. Just learn and add it to your body of knowledge.

2) some things that were “easy” when you were 25, are not as easy 25 years and 50lbs later. It takes time to relearn how to do things with an older and heavier body. Getting back in shape, and working on flexibility takes time, but it is well worth the effort. Perseverance pays off in time. When I started back, it was not unusual for me to have to take a knee and catch my breath during class, now I find myself doing that much less frequently, though some times I still do. When I started back I was having a hard time with high kicks (much over stomach level), now a year and a half later I am kicking people in the head when sparing.

3) like above, it doesn’t matter if I can do what I did in college, or if I am better than the other people in the class. It only matters that each day I am better then I was the day before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

6. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

The technical limitations that characterized my profile as a teenager training TKD cropped up again as an adult, and no amount of training and stretching could overcome those flaws.

Power is born, not made, as is speed.

Even the most restrictive, unrealistic, and technically unskilled sparring is better than no sparring at all (especially when trying out other sports).

TaeKwonDo competitors are completely oblivious to the need of a decent guard and counters to their flashy kicking techniques, and that my natural counter punching instincts came to good use:).

ITF sparring in the dojang, at least in my place, was much harder than the one in competition, especially to the body. People only pulled shots to the head, and some gym warriors did not pull those either...

7. Gnarlie

More to do with the kind of training and stretching than the amount. Training is about overcoming flaws. It works. For everyone. If they do the right things.
    Sounds like an excuse to me. Reflects the exact opposite of my experience. Hard work pays off if you do the right things.
    Depends on your aims.
    Bit of a sweeping statement based on your limited experience, isn't it?
    Sounds like a lack of training understanding if that's true.

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

It was true for every single one I sparred, as if the competitors are cut from the same cloth. I also noticed the same weakness at elite level competition. All I did was wait for their dog and pony show to end, then counter the moment their leg lands. Did this half a dozen times to elite competitors. Guys who took world medals. Best I sparred took silver in free sparring.

9. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I could have written the exact same thing 4 years ago. Perhaps 15 was too late first start. My strengths and weaknesses remained exactly the same. The point of my training was to get good at things I couldn't do before, and this failed miserably both tries at two different schools. Didn't matter that one school trained kicking 90% of the time, and the other 20-30%, the same weaknesses persisted either way.

10. Gnarlie

In your dojang. Not in competition.

You already said your dojang was not good.

Don't try to extrapolate from what you know is not a representative sample.

11. Gnarlie

Because you weren't training specifically to overcome your weaknesses.

It's like running twice a week and expecting to get good at lifting from that.

You have to learn how to address your own weaknesses. That's part of the process of learning MA. You can't just turn up and join in and expect that to do it. Nobody to blame but yourself, I'm afraid.

12. Gnarlie

Said in another way: people who overcome weaknesses and become good at what they do share 2 uncommon traits, namely strength of will and the ability to reliably and accurately self-teach.

13. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

My dojang is not the most pedagogical place in the world, no. Those with natural abilities thrive, while the rest are stuck in mediocrity. There were quite a few black belts in there that did not belong. Putting it mildly.... I did however spar high level guys as well and they all suffered the same fundamental flaws. Lack of basic defence and anticipation to punches is absolutely a near universal trait in TaekwonDo competitors.

14. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I did the exact same thing others did. It comes down to genetics. My hips clearly aren't from the right side of the paternal tree. Sucks since my father was a better kicker than just about anyone in his style. I showed you in comparison with world class japanese karatekas, how he puts them to shame and looks like a practitioner of a different style. He even scored a win against the world silver medalist with a reverse turning kick, which is unheard of in Shotokan tournaments. But like I said, I have to take into account the genetics from the other side of the pool as well.

15. Gnarlie

Still wrong.

16. Gnarlie

It's way more to to with your attitude than your genetics. You are a defeatist, looking for every excuse to blame others for your shortcomings.

17. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

No, it is a bit simplistic though. There are nuances to TKD sparring that people on the outside aren't familiar with, such as the scoring system. All that taken into concideration, defence and anticipation to punches is still godawful in ITF and likely only marginally better than in sport oriented KKW schools, if that. The shots I am able to land against quality competitors are cheap, and completely unneccesary.

18. Gnarlie

You have limited experience. That is all.

19. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

How many international ITF medalist do I need to tagg? Not very good reflection on your part if you think TKD competitors have adequate boxing defence.

20. Gnarlie

All depends on the individual.

Someone letting you land shots on them for your learning benefit in dojang sparring is very different to landing shots in competition. I don't think you can tell the difference.

How many comps you done?

21. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Why this constant need to be condescending? It gets you nowhere. I am not talking about my sparring experiences as a beginner. They did not let me land any shots. We've had people quit after being knocked down. I sparred for 4 years for cryin out loud, and I have been knocked down as well, though that guy was from a Kickboxing background.