Reflection

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Gnarlie, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Your opinion of me is even lower than I thought. I am like a 5 year old in your eyes. I can't tell the difference. I haven't been sidelined by injury from sparring too hard with stupid gym warriors.. I don't even care dude, but I didn't think it was that bad. Now I know.

2. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

So none then? No comps. Just dojang.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

NO. I have sparred harder in that dojang than what any competition allows, both in class and afterwards. I don't like semi contact competitions. You can lose for being "too good".

4. Gnarlie

What you fail to understand is that in the dojang, sparring is to learn. In competition it is to win. So regardless of how many people you might feel like you have 'tagged', in the dojang it means nothing.

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

You fight the way you train. Who would win in accordance to a certain scoring in an actual competition is completely irrelevant to the fact that their guard and overall defence to punches is poor. Chockingly poor.

6. Gnarlie

You also misunderstand this old adage. It doesn't mean that competition players go 100% in the dojang. That just leads to injuries and makes the training unsustainable. Sound familiar?
    Straw man from you there. That's not what I am saying. I'm saying that the supposed evidence upon which you base your claim (namely your own limited experience of poorly managed dojang sparring and zero comp experience) is fundamentally flawed.

In the dojang, it is the job of a sparring partner who is better than you to develop you. That means essentially giving you a positive training experience and letting you experience success when appropriate.

You mistake this for a poor guard. If you're sparring a decent competitor in the dojang and there is a gap in their guard, they are teaching you something. Same is true for a competent high dan BB.

This is not about who would win; it is a fact of dojang sparring. If you think your shots getting through is anything other than goodwill, you are dreaming. Until you have actually competed, that will remain so.

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Perhaps it's time to make a distinction between how things ought to be and how things are, and between sparring as a white belt time compared to red belt, against egos. If your impression is that of cooperative, humble sparring partners, then that is YOUR experience. I also made the point that they could potentially get away with their sloopy attentiveness to punches in a rule set which favors kicking. That doesn't however make it a desirable behavior.

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Might I also add that nobody likes to get hit. I don't care who wins either but I don't want to get hit, so these things have a way of taking care of themselves.

9. Gnarlie

Yeah, get back to is on that after you've competed.

A red belt with zero comp experience against an experienced and successful competitor is like a white belt versus a competition seasoned black belt. You are in their house, and if you land something that is within the rules, it's because they are trying to encourage you. It's pretty easy for them to eat you alive, but where is the fun in that, and who learns by it?

10. Gnarlie

And I bet your misunderstanding of this situation pissed the blackbelts off because they are using control and trying to encourage you to learn and you're laying in full whack thinking you are winning. I bet they even talked about it amongst themselves.

There's always at least one in every group.

11. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Not at all. But feel free to fantasize.

12. Gnarlie

You wouldn't even know.

13. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Or it's because their defence to punching sucks. You must train in a testosterone free environment. Aint nobody wanting me to get the better of them even the slightest.

14. Gnarlie

From your perspective.

15. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

We were actually fighting tonight in our club, grades from first timer to 6th dan, all the higher grades back off when fighting with a lower grade, leaving guards open, kicking slower, its to encourage the lower grades to look for an opening and try, without getting their heads knocked off. If I or the other high grades beat a lower grade what does that prove, that they are better than them, we that sort of goes with out saying really. It really sounds to me that you are the one with something to prove, so you got a few punches in, great, bully for you. in reality those competition fighters were probably only going at 40% give or take. how much effort were you allegedly using? As Gnarlie said, fighting in the class is worlds away from a full competition, try entering a couple and see how you get on. I thought you were giving up on TKD and going back to Boxing, as you said in another post, is any of this actually relevant.

16. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Oh stop it. Their guard is atrocious at world events as well. Why are you guys in such denial? I don't get it. I have talked about this with them as well. It's not like they don't know...

17. Gnarlie

I'm sure that went down well.

18. Gnarlie

Anyway, all of this is off topic for the thread. This thread is about what you have learned about YOURSELF, not others. That's why it's called Reflection.

19. Gnarlie

It's nothing to do with condescension. I treat you 'like a 5 year old' because you form and express opinions like one. If you actually take time to reflect and consider your communication and critical thinking skills, you will learn something about yourself.

Personally, on reflection, I note that my opinion is not always the only / correct one.

For that reason, I make an extra effort to consider the evidence available to me and that presented by others. In this case, the contextual and circumstantial evidence (an inactive, cup full redbelt with zero competitive experience and limited non-competitive shadow boxing experience suggesting that high level black belt competitors have poor punching and defensive skills) suggests that the claim can be disregarded on the grounds that the source is not credible.

It's clear from your posts that you have no understanding of the difference between sparring in the gym and sparring for competition purposes.

We've also seen you move, and an experienced coaches eye reveals immediately that what you think and say about youself and what you are actually capable of do not match up.

There's a reason you get torn to pieces on every forum you post video on. It's not your physical skills. It's your attitude and self perception and the incongruity between those and your physical abilities.

If you can make a match, either by improving your physical skills and experience, or becoming more humble and accepting that you have a LOT to learn, maybe people will stop treating you like a fussy baby.

20. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

You haven't seen me spar. You are the one making the assumption that one needs to be a skilled puncher to expose TKD competitors negligent behavior post kick, "if they really want to win".

Not only don't you need to be any good, you don't even need to train boxing in order to punish it. It is that bad.

You are also repeatedly making the case that that they were going easy on me. This despite the fact that the amount of I kicks I landed on them until just recently was in the 0.01 procentile, and I didn't land anything at all the first year or so. As for control - they went MUCH harder on me then vice versa.. I simply graced them on the face with the punch counters since they were higher ranked and I didn't want to bruise any egos. I'd like to see what happens if I put my hip into my counters like they do to their kicks...I have no problem that they went hard on me btw. I view it as a compliment, and it's good training to have active, intense sparring.