Relatively unfit, looking for a good starring point.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by MacGyverUK, Oct 21, 2015.

1. MacGyverUK

MacGyverUK New Member

Hi everyone.
    Just joined the forums and been reading a lot of the advice given to other Novices but i'm struggling to find ways of utilising my gym time.

28yr old
    60kg
    Started Taekwondo In January.
    Currently 8 kup

I attend between 1 and 3 classes a week and have reached a point where my general fitness and strength is hindering my progression.

I joined my local gym with my friend and girlfriend in order to get myself a better base line fitness level before working on stuff that would be more beneficial to my training.

However I feel I'm just wasting a lot of time. I tend to just be keeping my friend company doing cardio stuff. I'm not completely unfit, I can happily to 15min runs at a good pace.

Can anyone recomend a good beginner fitness regime that would help build my general strength and fitness and better utilise my gym time?

2. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

How exactly does the hinderance manifest itself? What exercises do you find difficult?

The exercises you will need to do will be specific to the discipline you are weak at, for example holding kicks out requires different training to dynamic sparring.

You are very light for your age... how tall are you?

3. MacGyverUK

MacGyverUK New Member

I'm having difficulty holding and positioning kicks and feel like it's my core strength that's letting me down. After a few min of practice I really feel that the quality and cotrol of my kicks drop dramatically. I have set aside time to do nothing but practice positioning and holding kicks to help strengthen them. Is there any way I could use my gym time to compliment this?

One of my friends is a PT and has agreed to help build a fitness regime with me and gear it towards TKD, but in the mean time I still would like to do something productive with my time:)

And yes I am extremely light for me age/ height. 180cm (just under 5'11")

4. Gnarlie

Chair work. Look for Bill Wallace examples on Youtube. Apart from that, leg lifts (not swings, controlled lifts)in every direction twice a day. Start with ten in each direction and add one every day. After 3 months you will be doing 100 in every direction and you will be able to hold and control kicks better.

5. MacGyverUK

MacGyverUK New Member

Thanks.
    I shall give them a go. :)

6. Gnarlie

Forward, side and back. With side, turn out your standing foot and lift your hip on the lifting side using your core. Work towards holding out a side kick for 12 seconds without wobbling.