Roundhouse kick by me on heavybag (VIDEO)

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

I got this comment by a Kickboxer. I'm curious about the highlighted sentence

"You're not exactly a speed demon, but a very competent kicker nonetheless. You have good power because of your long legs and knowing how to swing your arms correctly. All in all, pretty solid."

Now this surprises me because I was really gunning for speed here (ouch!) Did he mean that point A to B was slow?

3. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

To prove, try to kick in succession at least 4 times in a row, both using the same leg and interchanging.

4. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Well that's because I dig into the target. But technically, the time from when my foot is raised to when it lands is less than a second. That's fast to me.

5. Mario Ray Mahardhika

"Fast" is a relative term in this case, I consider 2 kicks from different leg (3 for same leg) in less than a second as fast. Typically one cannot judge from a single kick, but using your positioning as a base, it can be derived that your subsequent kick cannot be done in the same speed as the first one. Also count the speed you put the kicking leg back to ground, that kickboxer might actually talk about this. And your roundhouse looks more kickboxing than Taekwondo.

6. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

How so?

7. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Wide, not so snappy, uses shin instead of instep. It's kinda in between actually, since you rotate your supporting leg, but only slightly. Kickboxers will statically position it to the final degree right before the kicking leg is lifted, while Taekwondoins start forward then rotate it as the kicking leg goes.

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

I agree. But is it really that uncommon to employ these hybridizations?

Have a look at this fight:

That ITF guy clearly doesn't kick the way forms advocate, yet he is clearly an ITF purist.

9. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Depends on the competition. In (non-beginner) pure WTF/ITF? Seldom. In MMA? Often.
    He's adjusting his style. If you look at his first kicks, those are all TKD. But as he got fatigued and realized that this is not the same point sparring as he used to know (no need to push too much power, speed is more important), he changed his style to concentrate less on speed. Despite giving impact, the amount of energy required to perform correct and fast TKD kick is huge. This guy doesn't look like an athlete who trains for a long fight with consistent fast movements (I don't know if any current athletes are trained for this, but we, 90-00's athletes, were), but rather a short one. I believe he did expect the fight to end in the first 2 minutes or so, in which it didn't happen so he needed to change strategy otherwise he would lose due to out of breath.

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

I wrote "form kicks". ITF form kicks are not point kicks... And he didn't throw a single one. He threw sport kicks.