Saju Maki

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by Erwin, May 25, 2012.

1. Erwin

Erwin Member

Well i ran into my first road block today :( I breezed through Saju jirugi, but Saju maki was a complete disaster, the feet movements are no problem, but those damed hand crosses :mad:. Can someone please explain the hand movements which hand goes on top, is the hand facing up or down grrrr.... I know i should look at (senior) students but in this class there are only white belts and yellow stripes. Im in my 30s and the next oldest is 10 :)... Any help would be appreciated.

alan thompson likes this.
  2. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

The way that the hands cross is something that many people get confused about when they first started Taekwondo. I remember when I first started I got mixed up at times but after you have mastered it you'll never even have to think of it as it all comes naturally.

Just remember that your blocking hand should always twist in this pattern. So your fists would face you when they are brought up and then face away from you when you block.

Therefore, when the left hand low block is performed, the left hand should be raised up and placed in a fist on top of your right hand. Your right fist will face you (i.e. knuckles facing you) whilst your left hand, which is the one performing the block, will be placed on top but will be facing away from you (i.e. knuckles face away from you).

It's actually really easy to show in person but I've just realised how difficult it is to explain it by writing it down haha :)

3. Anthony Hayward

Anthony Hayward Active Member

The hand positions are quite easy but they take a bit to get locked into your brain..If you are performing any outer forearm block (like low block or rasing block) the blocking hand will be on top of the other one when it comes to the cross... position and with an inner forearm block the blocking hand will be underneath the other hand in the cross position..It is that simple...This also relates to kinfehand strikes, backfist etc..Now when it comes to the cross position the hands should be the opposite to how they end up.. I.e. Low Block - Blocking hand on top with back of hands together - as you come to the end of the block rotate your hands around. The attack should be blocked with the back of the hand and then the revolving action will flick it out of the way.. The revolving action is designed to generate more speed to create more force F=MxA... Study your theory of power..its amazing how much more power you can create by simple changes here and there...hope this helps...If you need any more info sing out

4. Erwin

Erwin Member

Its all starting to come together. However i still having a little trouble with the left side for what ever reason:rolleyes:
    Spending to much time thinking about it maybe.. Im finding it helps to vocalize what im doing while im doing it.... hahaha if that makes sense.

Anthony Hayward likes this.
  5. Anthony Hayward

Anthony Hayward Active Member

As beginners I get my students to bring there non blocking arm up first like a sign post, then place the other hand on top or underneath depending on the block they are doing...Practise stepping forward and backwards doing low section blocks and inner forearm blocks.....block, then bring that blocking arm up as your sign post, place new blocking hand on top (for outer forearm low block) and then step forward and block...start a drill going where you step forward two steps then block, then step back two steps then block and keep going....practise this side heaps then step and change to the other side...repetition is the only way to make it muscle memory...best of luck

6. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

With the finished technique in mind, if you can see any part of the palm of your hand then that arm crosses underneath, if you can see any part of the back of your hand then that arm crosses on top. Try it!

Erwin likes this.
  7. Matt Parker

Matt Parker New Member

normally in my experience, the hand in front goes low ie Left foot forward, left hand will be the lower hand, not always though, make ssure you ask your instrucotr to confirm when hand placement is where in a given form....takes some muscle memory but once you have it, it'll be like it always been there