Sask Cup

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Sparring' started by Erwin, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Erwin

Erwin Member

Hey all, I have my first tournament Nov 10th. I was wondering what kind of advice or tips you could give, or what i can expect? Do i spar against my own Rank or do all color belts get throwen in together?

2. Leonard

Leonard Member

Hey i also have my first competition on November 11th lol good luck.
    My advice to you as i would give myself is never stop switching left and right stances and go in with all you got, that's all the advice i can give you really at this time.

3. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Active Member

What belt are the both of you? If your a white or yellow belt you should be competing with like belt levels. Tournaments group belts together with age as well. Like white/yellow/orange belts, say age 6-8 or 10-12 or 14-16, etc. Some tournaments group only two belt levels together, while some do individual belts. Find out from your instructor or from the entry form that you filled out. Master Fahy

4. Leonard

Leonard Member

I'm currently a yellow belt and i am 28. I did do some tournament sparring when i was younger and in the ITA but that was a very long time ago and this is a different organization.
    But yeah it's black belt competition on saturday 10th then on sunday 11th will be coloured belts and black belt finals.
    Thanks Master Fahy.

5. Master Fahy

Leonard, let us know how you did! Master Fahy

6. Leonard

Leonard Member

Ok i will do ^^

7. Master Fahy

8. Archammes

Archammes New Member

My advice would be three fold. 1) Practice your combinations obsessively. Throwing multiple kicks per attempt keeps you on the offensive and your opponent on the defensive. And while defense may win championships in most sports, it will only take you so far in taekwondo. Two and three kick combinations, usually with the middle being a spinning back kick, are highly effective in your belt range, and most tournament competitors are not experienced enough to chain multiple kicks together in rapid succession. 2) Train for endurance. There is no telling how large or small your division might be. Be prepared to go 8-12 rounds at a minimum, just in case. The only opponent more easily defeated than a tired opponent is an angry opponent. 3) Learn the easy way to block headshots. It's not a "traditional" technique, but it's legal, and effective. Unless they are stretch armstrong, NO ONE should be able to kick you in the head over the tip of your outstretched hand. If you see a kick coming that looks like it might be aimed at the head, simply extend your arm all the way up on that side of your body, like you're raising your hand in class. In six years of competing with this technique, I've had very few headshots scored on me.

Erwin likes this.
  9. Erwin

Erwin Member

Thanks for the advice :cool: can someone tell me how they group the belts together for tournaments??

10. Archammes

Archammes New Member

This may have changed, but typically they take the same geup ranks, and break them down by age/weight.

11. Erwin

Erwin Member

Wow what an experiance:) Bronze in patterns and silver in Sparring. The cool part was my first match, Draw after first round, draw after OT round, so Sudden death first point wins. So the guy comes at me hard with a combo, Block, block, sidestep, left jab to face game over:).

The uncool part was getting a back kick in the groin :eek:..

12. Gabriel M.M

Gabriel M.M New Member

Congrats! good job :)