self defence misconceptions

Discussion in 'Self Defense' started by Finlay, May 23, 2016.

1. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

Hey there

While teaching self defence in your classes what are some of the biggest misconceptions you have had to deal with.

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Number 1: that immediately training against resistance before properly understanding the principle is productive.

Number 2: that self defence has to be complicated

Number 3: that the student does not already have to tools that they need

Number 4: That self defence means a physical response

Number 5: That being good at martial arts means being good at self defence

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

Nice list

I would add, that people think that sparring and self defence is the same thing, sort of like your number 5

5. John F

John F Member

One of the biggest things that was beaten out of me and I want to beat out of my fellow students is that you should go easy in self defense training. I think that is biggest disservice anyone can do for a fellow practitioner. A bunch of the students practice their hapkido during self defense. But they allow themselves to be thrown down or tap out way too soon. This leads their partners to think that they are performing the technique correctly or that a worthless technique actually works. This is bad. I challenged a teen to perform some of his techniques. All I did was stand there in a front stance with my punch out in static stance. The kid could not even move my arm by hang off of it. It was an eye opening experience for him when he realized what he was doing was useless on a guy my size. He tried to justify it and say it would work on a smaller person. I asked him how he could only get smaller people to attack him on the street and reasoned that you don't need martial arts to pick on a person smaller than you. I told him to just kick the target in the balls next time and I hope he takes my advice.

6. maryf

maryf New Member

interesting :) do add more. it different from :)ther martial arts topics.