Self defence tips Part 2

Discussion in 'Self Defense' started by RTKDCMB, Jan 1, 2013.

1. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

Here is part 2 of self defence tips please add more.

1. Never pick up hitchhikers, especially at night, as you don’t know who you are picking up – they could be bad people or they could have others lying in wait to steal your car.

2. When entering a public building such as a restaurant or pub always take note of the entrances and exits so that you can make a quick escape if necessary. Look around the room and try to size up the people there for potential threats when you first arrive. If you have to sit at a booth try to sit on the outside so that you can easily get out if attacked or threatened, this also applies to buses and trains. If you are threatened and have to leave get a friend or one of the staff to distract the person so that you can leave peacefully.

3. At home always keep your doors and windows locked when practical. Roller shutters are a good idea for home security – they make your home harder to break into. Keep all entrances well lit to shine the light on any potential intruders. Avoid allowing shrubbery to grow too high outside your windows as this gives prowlers a convenient hiding place.

4. Get a dog – large, loud and mean looking are good qualities to look for in a dog. This helps to keep burglars away. Even if your dog is friendly to everyone they still make noise when someone approaches your home. Dogs have great hearing and can serve as an early warning system for prowlers.

5. If you live alone do not advertise that fact by using your first name, Mrs, Ms, Miss or Mr on your letterbox or house or in the phone book and never let strangers know that you are home alone. This gives burglars the idea that your house is an easy target until they find out the hard way that you are a Tae Kwon Do student.

6. Never leave a key under your doormat, in the letterbox, under a rock or any other place that might be found by the wrong person – they can use it to gain easy access to your home. If you come home and find someone in your house do not go inside, instead call the police.

7. When you have just made an expensive new purchase e.g. Plasma TV, do not leave the empty box outside in your front yard for all to see as this is an advertisement to a burglar that you have something good for them to steal.

8. Use a touch lamp or one that turns on by clapping in your bedroom so if someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night you are not fumbling around looking for the on switch.

9. When professionals, such as electricians, installers and repairmen, come to your door always check and verify their credentials before letting them in to your house.

10. Always be on good terms with your neighbors so that you can go to them for help if necessary and also so that they do not think you are just a crazy stranger trying to gain access to their house.

11. When all else fails remember your Tae Kwon Do training.

Mwanaupanga likes this.
  3. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

Most of these don't really relate to TKD based self defence, more toward security for the home.
    If your concerned about exits and entrances and sizing people up in a pub or restaurant, pick another place to eat or drink, don't sit and wait for trouble.
    Don't get me wrong, the advice is sound.... I'm all for educating people to protect themselves but there are a few that will fall victim now and again, and commonsense and gut feeling is the first line of defence in these scenarios, and TKD the last. Most people that need this sort of advice probably won't find themselves in these forums.

UK-Student likes this.
  4. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

Most of these are about being aware of what you are doing and reducing the chance that you will have to use your physical self defence skills. As for the restaurants this is something that you learn to do subconsciously after a while, personally I never want to have to use the excuse that I did not see them coming.

UK-Student likes this.
  5. UK-Student

UK-Student Active Member

This is good I guess but I don't think "self defence" should permeate every element of life. I can't fault your reasoning that this would make you safer (same for all the points in your list) but I prefer not to let self defence define where I sit in a bar because I think assault is uncommon enough in most places that I can (as you say) just keep an unconscious level of awareness going on and take action when I feel that someone suspicious or acting irrationally or aggressively is around. As Iain Abernethy says;

Most places that I would go to are not dangerous so for me, to say, I need to sit on the outside of a booth I feel is not necessary. Danger is unlikely.

I have lived in places like Brixton in London where I would probably feel that the JD Weatherspoons on Brixton Hill would be such a place that if I really had to go there, I would do as you do and raise the level of precaution. It would be better still not to go there at all (if only because it's a dive).

Otherwise, I would sit back, remain aware but take no special actions. If I walk at night, I often cross the road to avoid people who seem suspicious or to be acting aggressively. I think self defence works best like this. Just an unconscious level ticking over to stay aware and not to present oneself as too much of a target and then when an alarm goes off to change the situation. As I am a man and I don't have many obvious valuables around, most danger to me will come via some kind of verbal confrontation rather than a sneak attack so there is usually lots of time to identify the situation...and in quiet neighbourhoods it is actually ironically easy to control your personal space and actually be aware of a much larger area because there are so much fewer people and fewer distractions.

The common diktat is to stick to busy areas but it's often not as simple as that. Often in Brixton to walk to someone's house on Coldharbour Lane from the Tube Station I would have to either walk through one road or another. Both are pretty bad neighbourhoods warranting extra levels of awareness than usual and one street is much busier than the other. I would choose the quiet street because on the busy street it passed by a bar and a bookies where "sketchy" (as they say here in Canada) people would hang around. On the quiet street, I could manage my distance and not really allow anyone to get near to me at all.

I must admit I always follow one thing that could be added to your list. Like many people I have a smart phone but unlike many people I don't like flashing it around because it could easily be nicked. When I use it (for a map function etc) I tend to find a corner and back myself into it so that there is practically no chance of someone trying to grab it out of my hands without me seeing them first. Not really so much a self defence tip - more an anti-pickpocket trick from a Londoner.

In summary, I guess I am saying that your list would be very effective, but I prefer not to follow /all/ of the points because I believe subconscious levels of awareness and prompted reaction are most important and I prefer not to make "conscious" efforts beyond a minimum of "common sense" (I guess not common to everyone) measures to reduce the amount of visible valuable items I carry. To promote conscious efforts could lead to a kind of paranoia in some where we overstate the risk.

PS

One more for your list - try not to walk around with gear on it saying "TAEKWONDO" at all hours and all locations. For a leery drunk looking for people to make macho postures to, you are really just giving him everything he wants. However, a TKD sticker on your house or car is a better option as it implies the danger level for a thief could be higher than normal!

6. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

That's a good one, I have known students to walk to training with their uniforms on, that can be asking for trouble. It's not so bad for kids walking with their parents but for adults walking alone it is not a good idea.

UK-Student likes this.
  7. Scotty P

Scotty P Member

I carry a concealed weapon everywhere I go, a full size 9mm pistol. I realize most here are from across the pond and don't have that option, and who knows the way things are going here in the states what might happen, Lord help us. In all the years I've been carrying I have had to pull my weapon twice, once when someone tried to rob us at our home, and once when a gang of hoodies were going to take down a local gas station. Both times the bad guys fled just at the site of an armed citizen.

8. GreywulfTKD

GreywulfTKD Member

Don't advertise that you're a black belt, especially if you're a kid. I had to make my brothers and friends promise not to tell people I was a black belt when I was a teenager because it almost always ended up with someone sizing me up and claiming they could beat up a black belt. Everyone wants to show they can take a black belt.

Of course this doesn't work when you're a professional instructor trying to get students. But by then, the average joe has a different connotation. He assumes you might know more what you're talking about and might be less likely to bother you.

UK-Student likes this.
  9. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

I like most of them apart for no. 4

getting a big dog may seem like a good idea. something to do thefighting for you. however, consider some of the targets of crime, the ittle old lady down the street who was afraid of criminals so bought a dog. now has a big hungry thing that has to be walked, cared for and fed. this puts a big strain on their lives and is not the most practical solution.

maybe for some people getting a dog is a good idea but it is very impractical for many

10. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

They are tips, not laws, so you don't have to follow them all.