Senior Project

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Itzel Gonzalez, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Itzel Gonzalez

Itzel Gonzalez New Member

Hey guys, My name is Itzel as a senior in high school I have decided to become a sparring coach/Instructor. I have signed up in this forums so I can ask any question I might have or just to talk about my Project. It would be very appreciated if I can get my question answer thought out the senior project. For this first post I would like to get to know some of you guys and anything you would like to say. :)

3. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

Hi there

Welcome to the froums.

I find the wording of your post a little odd, not sure why maybe it is the 'deciding to be a coach' usually it is something you become after years of competing.

How much competition experience do you currently have?

4. Itzel Gonzalez

Right I get that, but its something I want to do in the future. So I know there is a lot to learn which is why I have a mentor. I have around four years of competition experience.

5. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

Ah great,

Well if you are willing to do the work get some high level experience in competition, experiment with different training methods and look into strength and conditioning training

6. Itzel Gonzalez

Do you have any training methods? Such as conditioning or foot work, that I can keep in mind.

7. Matt

Matt Member

how long have you yourself been training? and how much competition fighting have you done?

8. Itzel Gonzalez

Six years doing the sport and around four years of competition fighting.

9. Matt

Matt Member

hmmm honestly I'd say you could use a bit more experience. Im a high school senior too, but I've been doing Taekwondo for 12 years and I've been competing for all of them. I started to run/ coach our competition team my junior year, but by then I was 16 and had been training for like 10 years or so.

10. Blue_Knight

Blue_Knight Active Member

Hi Itzel,

I just saw your post here, and was wondering if you are still on the forum, and how your Senior Project was coming.

GMC D.J. Eisenhart

11. Itzel Gonzalez

Hello Mr.Eisenhart,
    Yeah, thank you for asking my senior project went well.I actually just presented last week. Really happy that I past!! :) Also would like to thank the people on here that helped me.

Blue_Knight likes this.
  12. John F

John F Member

Hello Itzel,

If you are going to be a serious coach you need to keep abreast of the rules. I'm not sure what style you do. But WTF, USTF and the Kukkiwon updates their rules regularly. It's embarrassing to go to a tournament where the coaches and refs don't know the rules. You show up to a sanctioned tournament and if you have that big foamy macho gear from the 90's they are going to tell you get buy new gear on the spot. You can't teach what you don't know.