Serious talk

Discussion in 'The Instructors Room' started by Deathnever, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Deathnever

Deathnever Member

As a student of the arts I wish to open my school in the future. Also as an academic student I thrive to make my learning experience in the martial art world as professional as possible.

I was wondering on the levels of organization that some of you guys in your school management? My master makes up his lessons as the day progresses, some instructors plan their lesson plans months and weeks in advance and have books and books of exercises.

I personally write up my lesson plans beforehand because I don't think i would be able to think of one on spot like my master. Maybe in time, but at the moment I rather stick to my method.

Then i thought that advertising must be huge for schools. (my school does not advertise at all)

I've come up with several ideas of how advertising campaigns are done but i was wondering how many people continually send out advertisements in newspaper/flyers/door hanger formats.

I also was wondering if you in your experience have noticed certain trends in time? I've suddenly started to realize the quiet Christmas season that my instructor told me about. The September back to school rush.

To be honest I'm trying to pick your brains for your experiences and hopefully interesting stories where you made a really cheezy infomercial. Even if you have any rants on how your so mad that kid you hired to hand out flyers just threw them into the garbage, those are welcome.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  2. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

There are other threads about this.
    While advertising is important you have to have a business plan.
    If you fail to plan it is going to be an uphill battle.

Your biggest expense is going to be rent.
    You need to make sure that you understand the tax implications of your school.
    You need to make sure you are properly insured.

If you don't have your bases covered, good advertising has little value.

Traditional advertising is expensive, so unless you have the cash, get out there in the public. Open houses, demonstrations, etc... Take advantage of things like social media.

Get your own doboks and get students in them sooner rather than later.

eta...
    Make sure to have a flyer that covers your elevator speech. That is covers why tkd and why your dojang.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  3. Jenny 8

Jenny 8 New Member

There is little money in running a martial art school. We run ours out of a community hall as more of a hobby. Only 2 nights a week. I can't imagine how one can afford to run a school as there is a huge turn around with students and most don't want to pay too much.

We've been running our school for 24 years. We're lucky as our community hall gives us lots of storage for our equipment.

As for advertisement we have an ad in a few community papers and a few sandwich boards around the community as well.

I'd suggest starting by renting space somewhere like a community hall or sports center and try to grow from there.