Should i start Taekwondo?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Arsec42, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Arsec42

Arsec42 New Member

Hello,

I'm a 15 year old (180 cm height) who is interested in taekwondo.
    I'm not very flexible so i wonder if this is a problem.
    I'm also kind of afraid of getting KO'd so i'm wondering if this is common.

Thank you

2. akisbat

akisbat Member

Of course you should start TKD if you are interested in it . I started at the same age as you and I was not very flexible as well. Now (20 y/o) I have a black/red belt and a great flexibility. You will see as you train how your body changes and most important how your mentality will.
    As for the KO part , this is up to you. Just don't rush to go to a competition if you don't feel 100% ready.

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Great! An ideal time to start.
    No. Training will do two things: 1) Improve your flexibility and 2) teach you how to accept and work around your limitations
    No, it isn't. KO's are not part of training, and are rare in competitions (and becoming more rare thanks to changes in the rules to increase participant safety). Competition is not compulsory.
    You're welcome.

akisbat likes this.
  4. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

Very short and simple answer.

YES.

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

There is no absolute correlation between flexibility and kicking abilities in TKD. I can perform most kicking techniques from a flexibility standpoint, yet can't stretch much more than non martial artists. And I kick high too, so it doesn't even affect that. Chuck Norris couldn't perform the splits in the 60s and 70's.

6. Gnarlie

"There is no absolute correlation between *static passive* flexibility and kicking abilities in TKD." Fixed that for you.

If you can kick at height, then your dynamic active and passive flexibility allows you to reach that height. Here is a direct correlation:

Your maximum kick height < your dynamic active and dynamic passive ROM(max).

Here's the thing: there is a correlation between ROM(max) static active and passive and ROM(max) dynamic active and passive. That is, if you want to improve dynamic flexibility for kicking, especially if you want to kick with power at extremes of ROM, you need to train all four types of flexibility.

It's all good to say you can kick at height but can't static stretch far, but, that means that your dynamic active stretch is also very probably fighting your inflexibility making your kick at height weak as you fight the inflexibility if the static musculature in the standing leg.

Train all four types of flexibility, including strength exercises at extremes of ROM to increase active dynamic flexibility, and there's a very clear correlation with kicking ability - it's immediately obvious who trains in this way and who doesn't.

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

One of my most powerful kicks is the reverse turning kick (not sure why it's labelled turning kick given thas the foot is straight at all times.) that's a pretty flexible techniques to pull off at full speed, with power, and I have no problems with it. Prolonged stretching makes my muscles stiffer/tired, not the other way around.

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

And may I add, that the assistant instructor informed me that I will pay the bills for his teeth if I kick too high against the mitts and connect to his face. He stated that I will kick them out of his gum. So believe me when I say that I kick pretty darn hard.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  9. Gnarlie

Try it in slow motion, under control. It will tell you something about your dynamic active flexibility. I would guess that you rely on passive flexibility given that....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

10. Gnarlie

.... Your assistant instructor is implying you have power but no control...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

11. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

He was being paranoid. It was a back kick which connected slightly higher than expected, but to go from his hands to his head would be a massive blunder, not likely to tappen.

Yes, I do. I don't need to be able to do it slow from an application standpoint. Nor are there any patterns where it's performed in slow motion.

12. Gnarlie

I'm pretty sure there are some ITF form with held and slow kicks.

In any case, if you can't do it slowly, then the fast version is not as powerful {or controlled} as it could be because you will be out of balance and the 'lifting' aspect of the kick will be relying solely on a ballistic stretch and momentum. Effectively, your own inflexible muscles steal potential power from the kick.

13. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Even so, I kick harder than most. I certainly have no problem regaining balance when landing, unless I've over stretched and there is pain in my supporting foot. My instructor loves the power and has also complimented the technical level in the spinning sidekick and back kicks. Which he says follows the correct trajectory.

14. Gnarlie

Good for you. Maybe consider whether your instructor means 'correct' or 'correct for your level'. Then consider whether a martial artist should view what they do as correct, or should be looking to continuously improve regardless of their current ability level.

Your kicks can be improved through strength and flexibility training. Fact, no matter who you are.

15. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

You don't seem to accept fact that we are not all equally flexible. You may be willing to bet that anyone can perform the splits after X amount of time, but that's not a bet I am willing to take up.

16. Gnarlie

Me either. However, everybody can improve their flexibility and strength.

17. FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian New Member

Well when I stared I wasn't flexible either but I eventually got there. I would recommend Taekwondo as a good style to start especially since you're interested in it. Getting KO'd isn't impossible but it's never happened to me and I've been sparring since I was 10 and now I'm 16. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Milos89

Milos89 New Member

Dont worry about flex problem and KO. You have good age to start it, and good will. I am 27, 188cm and i started 5 months ago. I was belo average in flexibility, but good training will give you good results after some time. And the most important thing when starting somenthing new is " just keep goin, and dont until you are best " . Take time, train hard, and results will come. Fell free to send me questions about fresh start experience :)