Small talk

Discussion in 'The Instructors Room' started by Deathnever, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Deathnever

Deathnever Member

So I want the students i teach to be able to trust me more so i can help them better. I was wondering if there were any good topics to ask the children at my school from like 4-9 we run a children's program and during stretches my master likes to ask how their day at school was. I want to ask them something else but something appropriate that wont rile them up too much. any suggestions?

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Kids find abstract thinking difficult, so I use the time to ask them leading questions to help them understand more abstract ideas, for example 'what do you think respect means?' or 'why do we bow?' is too abstract for kids. But other questions can be asked to lead to the same end point. 'What rules do we have in the class?' works well, reinforces the rules and leads naturally to questions about why we have them and why it is important to treat each other well.

4. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

you could ask them to connect what they are doing to the real world. like why do we stretch? to kick higher and prevent injury. has any one seen/had an injury? etc.

Kids like to tell stories about themselves, well in my experience. no matter what they say act interested and in a positive manner if they get too of point then bring the conversation back to where you want it.

One thing i did for streching was counting in different languages. we all know korean and English, so i threw in Russian, italian, Gaelic then asked if any of the kids wanted to count. if was fun for a bit and kept the kids focused.

I guess my point is when you can make something a little bit more fun the kids will enjoy your classes a little more and be more open to you. you can't ask them (not that i am saying you are) to go from cold to talkign about everythingthat happened in their day. first appear like a person they want to get to know more.

Jenny 8 likes this.
  5. Sabomnim Dan

Sabomnim Dan Member

The first question the average adult will ask a child in that age bracket is something to the tune of 'how was your day' or 'how was school'. Differentiate yourself from the other adults in their lives and help them focus their minds on Taekwondo rather than the distraction of what else happened/is happening in their day. "What's your favourite kick/block/form/stance/etc.?"

Pick one that's mentioned that you haven't done in class for a while or that you've noticed needs some work and then practice it for a few minutes or so. It establishes a 'buy-in' from the kids because they are shaping the class they are part of (as opposed to adults telling them what to do all the time) and if you do it regularly, they will become excited about being able to shape their own training next class if they missed out this time. And whilst flying side kicks may not be as useful now that our enemies don't bear down on us from atop giant battle horses, they can be a lot of fun.

Start with favourites, then over time move on to "what would you most like to improve?". When they learn to direct their own training in this way they are already on the path to martial arts success.

6. Dusty

Dusty New Member

At this time of year (or any time of year) it can be helpful to discuss upcoming events ie summer holidays, halloween, easter bunny, Santa Claus or whatever.

I like pretending to be the big mean, over the top instructor. I tell them ridiculous things like if they don't get their ap-chagi's right I will make them do a million push ups. It gets them laughing, when kids are laughing they're enjoying themselves, when they're enjoying themselves they tend to try a little bit harder :)