So you want to be an instuctor

Discussion in 'The Instructors Room' started by Finlay, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

What is one thing you would tell a person wanting to be an instructor.

For me

I would tell them it cuts in to your own training time.

3. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

I would tell them to always thank their students for giving him/her the opportunity to guide them along the martial path.

4. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Keep high standards in general, but be tolerant of differences if you want to be successful.

5. Matt

Matt Member

Be strict, disobedient students learn nothing. Be a friend, but be firm. Make sure the students know their place in the classroom

6. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

Don't feel and act like an immortal (you) and humans (your students), the one who deserves to be honored never asks to be honored. Your duty is not to abuse them, but to guide them to the way you are now, avoiding (but making them knowledgeable) all the wrong paths you've passed through when you were like them.

7. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

Learn to kick in another mans dobok.

Anthony Hayward and rugratzz01 like this.
  8. Matt

Matt Member

I was just told I will be testing about a year early for my fourth dan test, and this is the subject of my essay. Well Kind of; for third dan I had to write about how to teach TKD, for my fourth dan I must write an essay about how I teach. What I value in teaching, and how I would create classes

9. Gnarlie

You want to bounce some ideas around?

10. Matt

Matt Member

I'm thinking about aiming my essay to center around what I value as an instructor. for instance I think that one we should not teach to a sport, but to tradition. TKD started as a martial art not a sport, it evolved into a sport. I also plan to focus a lot on the aspect f "play" in class. While I think it is good and necessary at times to give students a break (especially young kids), it is often times that we relax too much from our roots. As you get older I think there can be less room for play and more room for learning, since that is what you are trying to do.

11. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

There are tons of topics about teaching. What I see so far is good. Some other considerations....
    How to re frame curricula in an environment that is getting increasingly younger
    How to respect tradition in a sports TKD environment
    Difference between a teacher and a leader

Have fun with it.

12. Gnarlie

The question is, how much tradition is there in Taekwondo? In the context of wider martial arts, Taekwondo is relatively young. The idea of Traditional Taekwondo is IMO something of a misnomer in that the art only stretches back to the 50s with that name. I do believe that Taekwondo serves as an excellent base from which to share and understand Korean tradition and values though, and there are many sport-focused schools that don't do that.

A key aspect of Taekwondo is learning to adapt to change. This includes not dogmatically sticking with perceived 'tradition'. Taekwondo can be taught as a martial art without the need to sell that martial tradition.

There's also a question around the value of Taekwondo as martial arts in a society where 99.99999% of the total time spent doing Taekwondo is for leisure or competition purposes rather than using it in life or death situations.
    Horses for courses. Kids will be kids, regardless of how military your training approach is. Overbearing discipline will just send them down the road. Learning THROUGH play and generating interest and passion in kids is way more effective than shouting at them. It's a long term investment.
    Depends on the kid IMO. Some are just more mature than others. I have a play TKD group and a serious TKD group. The more mature kids graduate to the real training. The less mature ones stay active and get drawn into our family, typically starting to train more seriously when they reach their teens.

13. JoeP

JoeP New Member

The responsibility is something that cannot be taken lightly.

14. Kick T-shirts

Kick T-shirts New Member

The one thing I would say is instil a sense of joy in your students. Joy of learning, joy of teaching, a joy of achieving the nearly impossible.

15. LordNeil

LordNeil New Member

Be honest with your students. You won't always be right & you won't always know all the answers. Find the answer & get back to them.

Kick T-shirts likes this.