Some kind of stretch to do..

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by gitset, Jan 28, 2016.

1. gitset

gitset New Member

Hello all I am very happy to be able to join this website and learn more about TKD. I have a question that have been bugging me for at least six months. I have this problem which is when I do a high snap kick with my left leg, my right leg's nerve behind the knee tends to be pinched or something. It produces a sharp pain at the knee pit area that is alarming. I am a right handed and legged so I don't have this problem on my left leg when I do a right leg high snap kick. Any advice on why is it like that and also what stretching exercise can I do to make this pinched nerve problem to go away?
    Thank you very much.

2. teagentleman

teagentleman New Member

My advice is that this issue could be down to any number of things and you are much better off going to see a doctor or physiotherapist about this in person. The potential for us to misdiagnose based on just a description on an internet forum is quite high.

At the very least, ask your instructor in person. You can then physically show them exactly where it hurts etc.

3. gitset

gitset New Member

im pretty sure i have to do some kind of stretch or the posture of my strange side left kick. I have no instructor or anything. Own training.

4. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

Speak to a doctor or a physiotherapist is the best advice to give. One reason is that a person on the internet cannot look at the problem area but the main reason is there are too many unqualified hacks on here, including instructors. Do not look for free health advice because you will regret it too many times than not.

5. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Also, go to a qualified instructor. The potential for such pains resulting from incorrect posture is high if you are training alone.

6. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor or a certified instructor.

That said, when I first started doing high ap chagi I felt the same pain and I believe it was from having my supporting foot turned out far enough, and the leg totally locked out. Examine your technique and discuss with a profession if you continue to have the problem.

7. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

I will presume that you meant that you meant to say your base foot was not turned out enough. All kicks out to the side MUST have a 45 degree, not much more and nothing less, turnout. If 45 degrees is not made, you are going to negatively affect your knees and the hips when doing kicks out sideways.

8. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

Yes that is what I was trying to express. I'm was on a conference call when replying and was splitting my atention :)

9. gitset

gitset New Member

Wow yes I also noticed that whilst doing some practices offline since I posted the question. I was afraid to turn my supporting right leg more because of the sharp nerve pain that might happen. It left the supporting leg stiff and locked incorrectly which induces the pinched nerve feel.

10. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

So do you feel any difference since your first post?