Soreness

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Gnarlie, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

How do you guys manage soreness? For those who train multiple times each week, how do you balance sustainable performance with reaching maximum potential?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Bath, Tiger balm, optional beer. :)

We all know that as we become more mature (Ok ok, getting older) it takes longer for our bodies to recover. Listening to the body, and not fighting it. Adapting (for me) is an important way to keep going. Be lazy! find the most efficient way to do a technique, using the maximum amount of energy at the precise moment its needed. I think I am preaching to the converted, and with all your experience, you really dont need me telling you how to train.

We need to have longer recovery times, my guys (children) can train hard for a few hours they may be sore for a day or two, but recover far quicker then me.

3. Gnarlie

Interesting. Do you think training all out twice a week is better than 80% five times, for example. I have always struggled with this balance, along with needing to be able to demonstrate technique when I am the trainer. Having sore muscles can really screw with that, but some level of soreness is realistic in making progress. I don't know that my way is the way, so I'm interested in perspectives.

4. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

I try to train three or four times a week, but sometimes I need to lay off and only train once a week, (in the club) trying to push through he soreness doesn't work anymore. When I teach, depending on the theme for that week I give it 100%. I do not push my body as hard as I used to, and if I need to demonstrate something I struggle with, then I use an assistant, (normally above 3rd kup) or someone who can demonstrate the technique well.

Of course we get sore through normal training, but we should know now the difference between uncomfortable soreness, and (not sure I am saying this right) there is something wrong soreness. The latter we need to address and if we decide to continue to train the back off a lot until its better, stretching can help alive the symptoms, but the damage is still there and it needs rest.

I have always put myself as a student asking me the question, I am sore after training what should I do? the advice I give my student is the one I should take. Sometimes a visit to a physio is a good idea just to get some advice on ways to combat the soreness, eastern medicine is (I think) better as they prefer to treat the cause rather than the symptoms.

The Korean flags centre symbolises balance, we need to balance our training between 100% and rest, to much of one puts our bodies out of balance. what is the correct balance, now that is a good question, its down to the individual, (in my opinion) but the equation stays the same. its just that the individual parts weight more.

Does that lot make sense?

dvcochran likes this.
  5. Gnarlie

Yes it does. Maybe it's just me getting older and not wanting to admit it to myself but oof.

6. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Sadly it comes to us all, The important thing is to listen to our bodies, and no so much to our minds. I dont know about you but I still (in my mind) feel 25, I would love to go into a class and train like I used too, pushing my body to it limits. thinking about it logically there is no way I could do that. "not wanting to admit it to myself" That can take time, For me when I eventually did, it was quite upsetting, the realisation that I was getting older.

There are some amazing old instructors (masters) who still train, but they do so within their limits.

You know the saying, those who can do and those who cant teach. I used to think of that as a negative expression, but to day I look at it differently. "those who can do" pretty obvious, if you can do aerial 360s 540s or what ever then do them.

The last part

"Those who cant teach"

Maybe we cannot do everything the youngster can BUT!

You/we have years of experience inside our heads, you can look at someone doing a technique and see where they are going wrong, not twisting enough, twisting to much, stance is wrong, your taeguek would be better if you combined blah blah! We know how a technique should be done and are able to explain the key ingredients needed to perform it, or ways to work around it if the student has a physical problem.

Changing the subject. You wrote a piece a long time ago on (cough cough) another forum, about why taegueks and poomse dont always finish with a kihap. I found it late at night and forgot to bookmark it, and only quickly scanned it. can you remember anything of what your said?

7. Gnarlie

DM'd

8. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

I don't teach anymore since early 2018 and basically become a self trained trainee. I don't practice regularly but when I do I almost always give 100% and yes, by your guess, the next day is an extra sore day. Almost every muscle in my body hurts when moved, and I'm aware which movement actually moves which muscles. This usually resolves automagically within 3 days or so, depending on my immediate health. I lost a lot of flexibility and my movements are limited. My brain still remembers what to do, but my muscles disagrees often. A slow start helps, while a tendon break is very likely to happen if I just do it all right away.

9. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I got back into boxing after a year of doing nothing and got sick as a dog. All that hard work and then a week off. Feels like a waste. I do not think it was a coincidence.

Whenever I really tried to make the most of my training doing both TKD and boxing I've gotten sick as well. Just constantly sidetracked.

If this pattern persists I simply can't train heavy cardio sports like boxing.

10. Gnarlie

This brings up the question of what you guys do to keep your immune system on point between strenuous training sessions. Personally, I take multivitamin supplements, watch my B and iron levels, watch what I eat, and make sure to get enough sleep.

Also, I wash and sanitise my hands immediately before and after training to reduce transmission of germs.

Add to that an antifungal soap and mat wash to prevent ringworm and similar infections, and that's about it.

I still get sick, but it's controlled and doesn't last long.

11. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I take vitamins, wash etc. It seems I don't have the immune system to be trained for cardio heavy sports like boxing.

I have no idea how professional boxers and Olympic wrestlers don't get sick all the time.

12. dvcochran

dvcochran New Member

This is a great thread. I certainly cannot go like I used to but I can still tell when I get in a good workout grove. My body feels better and my recovery time goes down. I would say that the recovery time, regardless or length, is more 'painful' however. I feel more but if I get in a good grove it usually subsides before the next workout. The caveat is the 'itis' brothers. Arthritis and tendonitis pain are something of a wildcard. It is simply worse at times, whether I am working out regularly or not.
    I do think a moderate workout 3-5 times/week is better than one hard workout once every week or so. Once a body get acclimated, it can handle the harder workouts over time.
    I certainly don't understand it but it seems our bodies pain signals get louder as we get older.

13. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

We have just held our annual 12 hour training marathon. those taking part were from 5 to 60 years old. out of 36 people starting 19 finished, and that included 3 under 7s. I am not sure about the other members but in our house everyone is walking (staggering) about. I guess in a couple of days they will be, more or less back to normal. Me on the other hand I think its going to be a lot longer. A bit extreme, but as we get older our bodies need more time to recover, and we need to listen. Doing what we used to do X years ago no longer applies, rest times need to be longer, There is nothing wrong with a good hard training session, but we need to keep a balance. Fighting the inevitable wont work, there will be a payback, sometime. remember the tortoise and the hare.

I have a Dan grading next year, but instead of doing it over three days, I have been given a concession that I can break it up into smaller parts over more time to allow my body to recover. Its still going to be hard (as it should be). I need to up my training schedule, by how much (trying to find out) its all down to the right balance.

14. dvcochran

dvcochran New Member

I competed as an amateur athlete and at was in the Olympic circuit for 3 years making a run for the '88 Olympics (missed by 2 matches going as an alternate). I had a very good trainer who guided my diet. By far the best supplement for muscle recovery are amino acids. They can be found in tablet/capsule form or powder. You will also hear them under different trade names such as GH boost. They definitely shorten your recovery time and, along with good diet and hydration, reduce muscle soreness.