Sparring in my first tournament tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Sparring' started by Intercept, May 10, 2013.

1. Intercept

Intercept Member

I can't wait! Butterflies! I'm ready for tomorrow! It's going to be a blast! I'm praying to the Cardio Gods! hahahah I'll post up pics after tomorrow.
    Any tips are greatly appreciated!

3. John McNally

John McNally Active Member

Good luck, focus on your combinations and commit to them, whatch for the dropping of the opponents leg after kicks.

Intercept likes this.
  4. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

You're a ninth gup?

Can't advise on strategy/technique. Can tell you to bring your own food to the tourney. They tend to be hurry up and wait affairs, and the only food available will be hot dogs, etc... So pack some bananas, nuts, energy bars, etc... Make sure to have water.

Lastly, don't wear yourself out pre fight time. You will see people doing paddle drills, etc... several hours before their fight. Conserve your energy.

good hunting

Intercept likes this.
  5. Intercept

Intercept Member

Thanks guys! I've been doing my sparring class faithfully for 7 months so I feel good about tomorrow. My conditioning is pretty good too. I'll keep you posted!! Thanks for the tips!:)

6. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Good luck. Embrace the fear. Those butterflies are because your body is preparing itself for competition. Welcome that and draw on that strength. Your body is preparing itself without you doing anything, so it will look after you. Just relax and have fun!

Intercept likes this.
  7. Intercept

Intercept Member

Thanks!!! I'm really excited and can't wait to do this! Thank you for the advice!!!

8. ssiidd

ssiidd Active Member

Good luck! My first sparring comp was an eye opener. The only advice (aside from packing ice-packs and a painkiller or two ;)) is go in with a clear mind. I wen't in with a bunch of fancy scenarios in my head which were thrown out of the 'ring' very quickly. Don't go all out in the first round either.

All the best!

Intercept likes this.
  9. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Oh, and get someone to film it if you can. It will make you notice loads of mistakes you can fix.

Intercept likes this.
  10. Intercept

Intercept Member

Well, I didn't win but it was close. 8-10. Man it's draining but what a rush! I got 3rd place out of our group. I feel great about it especially being my first time ever competing. I'm unable to post the video on here. I've seen other people do it so I don't know why or how? I go to 'upload file' and my video file is grey and not an option to select. Any tips? I may need to save it as a different file type. Currently it's a Quicktime movie. :)

John McNally likes this.
  11. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Upload it to youtube first and link it :)

I remember the drained feeling from my first BJJ comp. its amazing. I was so exhausted after, and when the other guys from my club asked how I did I kept saying 'i won' while shaking my head despite the fact I lost horribly :p adrenaline does weird things to you for sure.

Intercept likes this.
  12. John McNally

John McNally Active Member

Well done, lessons learnt to applied to the next one

Intercept likes this.
  13. Intercept

Intercept Member

I want to develop my endurance more. Second round I could've had my choice of shots but was gassing out. I will be in better conditioning next tournament!

14. John Hulslander

It has been mentioned here before.
    You need to develop two types of endurance.

Run for distance.
    Jump rope or HIIT train for burst type endurance.

Need both to excel.

Intercept likes this.
  15. Intercept

Intercept Member

Thanks! I now do a really good home workout including jumping rope, kicking the bag and then I run up this hill as fast as I can followed by a jog. Here is the video of me sparring. I am in the BLUE. I was robbed bad in this fight on scoring and you even hear people yelling and talking about it. Everyone's all "Push the button!" Hey you're giving Red the Blue guys points!" "Come on man, that was a point!" etc. Anyway, bummer for me but hey, it was my first tournament and I had fun! I look forward to the next one in 6 months!!!!!

16. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Looks good for a first comp. Remember to chamber your kicks fully for the power :) With the tools you said above, you can make a really great program, just make sure you have goals your working towards. Your workouts should be different if your goal is faster kicks or endurance.

Intercept likes this.
  17. Intercept

Intercept Member

thank you. It all happens so fast. You have to just rely on your training to kick in. My home workout is really going to add to my strengths. Kicking drills, 2 minute explosive drills, practicing capitalizing on the opponents missed kicks, refining my counter attacks, getting my endurance up to a really high level and also getting out of the guys way/mastering my distance and range. I love Taekwondo!

18. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Active Member

Nice going for your first fight! After watching the video, as a judge...I would say that it was about even! Could have gone either way! You do better next time! Master Fahy

Intercept likes this.
  19. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

Next time remember coffee isn't illegal and is a good "pick me up" before bouts

Intercept and John Hulslander like this.
  20. John Hulslander

Intercept likes this.
  21. Intercept

Intercept Member

Good to know! Yes, I remember when I used to lift weights years ago a trainer told me it was good to drink your coffee or favorite caffeine beverage before a workout!