Sparring Tips?

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Sparring' started by Ainsley, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Ainsley

Ainsley New Member

I am a camo belt, so I am starting sparring soon. Do you guys have any beginner sparring tips for me?

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Only that the strategies that prove successful for non-continuous and continuous sparring are very different. If you think about why that might be, it will lead you to a winning strategy.

4. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

Simple: listen to your coach and learn accordingly

5. Matt

Matt Member

uh what is a camo belt......

Cliff Williams likes this.
  6. Gnarlie

Some styles of taekwondo have a camouflage belt as part of their grading structure. In some cases it replaces a colour, and in some it is an additional step between colours.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Some see it as an indicator of money-gouging when it is additional, and it has been associated with the mythical mcdojangism, typically paired with superfluous weapons work or a black belt fast track. It doesn't necessarily mean any of those things though, I would treat it on a case by case basis. The standard colour schemes are normally:

white
    white yellow
    yellow
    yellow green
    green
    green blue
    blue
    blue red
    red
    red black
    black

In some styles brown replaces red and there may be a number of steps within brown.

7. Gnarlie

Cliff Williams likes this.
  8. Matt

Matt Member

So out of my own curiosity what do you think of using other belts other than the original or standard i guess is a better word? I personally think that the listyou created above should be made standard around the world but most schools often use purple, and brown, and orange which I undertsnad why but I personally dont like it.

9. Ainsley

Ainsley New Member

Where I practice taekwondo, the camo belt is the fourth belt, after white, orange, and yellow.

10. Gnarlie

The colours have a significance from a Korean perspective, in that they are the colours of the Samgeuk, red, yellow, and blue, with black and white as the extremes. Green was a later addition to add an extra level to reduce the time between new belts for beginners.

But, IMO it's totally up to each instructor what they want to do, unless they want to belong to a governing body.

My view is martial arts are about skills and practical actions, and that the belt is just a strip of cloth, although one that supports the philosophical aspects if the art in the case of Taekwondo.

One of the sad things about Taekwondo for me is that there are so many splinter groups and each tends to think of the other 'they don't do it the same as us, what we do is better'. I'm more for tolerance, and there is more than one way to skin a cat. I've met martial artists of varied levels of ability from most orgs, and no one org is better. Organisations are made up of people, and every person has individual strengths and weaknesses.

Michael MacNeil likes this.
  11. FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian New Member

Know how to spot open and close stance. Open stance means your opponents chest is open to back leg. Close stance means front leg. Know shuffle backs and side steps. Know basic punches, kicks, and combos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Hard to say given that we have different styles, and only you will know what style you have that makes you comfortable.