Sparring/Training partner(s)

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by ssiidd, Sep 3, 2013.

1. ssiidd

ssiidd Active Member

Sorry if this is not the right place for the thread ... I might also be combining two posts in one

On Sparring Partners - It would be really useful if we had the ability to connect with TKD'ers in our locality and train together, preferably from the same org (WTF, ITF) simply because the rules and techniques for competitions appear to be different?

Main reason for the thought is we don't get to practice sparring too much. The club is quite large with majority new-starters who need focus and attention. I can only do so much on my own i.e. practice kicks and combinations but nothing I can use as a supplement for partnered sparring. A few like-minded people getting together and practicing would bring great benefits. It would also allows people to share ideas and techniques .. I'll term it 'open-source tkd training'.

Questions is how does one find people who share such an interest. Perhaps this forum could have a section on meet & greet and training?

I guess the other question I have is, how can I improve my sparring training solo?

3. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

You cant really train sparring on your own, but I like your idea. Many boxing / kickboxing / mma clubs have either open mat/ring days where people are welcome to spar, or inter club sparring sessions. Either of those would be a great thing for TKD clubs too. I guess the problem is not alot of TKD clubs have a fully fitted training hall to practice in. Anyways, its definitely worth a go getting people together. You could try getting in touch with other clubs, and seeing if anyone is interested. Otherwise you could start your own meet and greet in the dojang I guess. Good luck.

4. naodwalk

naodwalk New Member

I've had this idea and put it on the table, but it seems club owners that are equipped with complete training halls are concerned about liability issues. I can't say I blame them, however it would be a great benefit for a lot of TKD'ers (that's a valid term, right?) to have a place where they could come together and share ideas. Perhaps you could start a meetup. It's not free, but it's a great way to get the word out there. www.meetup.com. People put their interests (martial arts, tkd, fitness, etc.) and it emails them if there's meetup in their general area that matches the criteria.

5. Anthony Hayward

Anthony Hayward Active Member

There has recently been a full time martial arts training centre opened up near where I live. It is a non political centre that people can come and train with other clubs etc on a non political basis.

It is like a 24hr gym but martial arts based.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/MDT-Martial-Arts-Training-Centre/504731916284027

I think this is a great idea. Is there anything like this near where you live.

6. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

I know in the US that the USAT is asking different state associations to host regular free fighting seminars. At the least on a quarterly basis.

We had one here in Ohio and while I could not attend, one of my first dans did and he thought it was awesome.

7. ssiidd

ssiidd Active Member

Thanks for the replies (tips and encouragement). I will explore the possibility of starting something up - thanks naodwalk for the link! My experience is regular training clubs expect you to become a member and train with them which defeats the objective. I have never trained in a fully padded dojang, but wooden/laminate floors mostly so anything similar would do (the surface needs to be smooth enough not to damage feet) and cheap/near-free to the participants so people can train without worrying to spend too much.
    I am based in London, UK so if I do manage to start something up will definitely post here.

Pilsung.

8. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

Im sure there will be something in london. The problem will be insurance probably. I know I wouldnt feel happy about sparring on wooden floors. Too much chance of slipping, and too hard if you hit your head. Very few facilities will let you use it without insurance so thats going to cost. I think your best bet might honestly be to get in contact with a local MMA gym and ask if you can use their matts. Alot of gyms I know have lessons in the evening, but the gym is open all day and mostly empty. Im sure they would welcome a few extra £s and hell, maybe you can even teach them the power of a good Taekwondoin :D