Start with Teakwondo or to old?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Jesper, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Jesper

Jesper New Member

Hi,

Iam 37 years old, i have always been fascinated by teakwondo but have never started to practice my self. Working out on gym 4-5 days a week.

The question is if iam to old to start with teakwondo, or is there any other close combat sport that wold fit me better.

Thanks
    Jeppe

2. AliPat

AliPat New Member

No you are not too old. I started when I was 42 having done nothing similar before. It is a great all round workout, great stress relief (you get to punch and kick!), and if you join a good club you will find it friendly and social as well.

3. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

The Master Instructor I started under didn't begin until he was in his late 40s. He passed his fifth dan at 72.

No you are not too old.

c5sparkchaser likes this.
  4. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

I re-started my training a year and a half ago this past February. I had a stent put in my heart at 44 and just tested for my next dahn last month, the 22nd of July. My promotion was last night in front of grand masters such as Kenneth MacKenzie, Shelton Morelend, and about 15 others, including tkd's Chung Le. Never to old. Just do what your body allows you to and do that the better than you can. :)

5. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

No. There is no too old. Taekwondo just becomes something slightly different as practitioners age. I'm 37, and the Taekwondo I practise now is different to that which I practised in my 20s.

Taekwondo is about finding harmony and peace with the world, nature, and life. Nobody is ever too old for that.

Congratulations, Canadiankyosa, on your promotion.

6. Jesper

Jesper New Member

Thanks for all answers, maybe i just should sign up for a lesson then. Guess i need to be doing some serious stretching now then, iam really immobile atm :)

7. Gnarlie

TKD will sort out your flexibility. The point of training is to become, not to already be as soon as you arrive. We all started like that, you'll be fine.

8. Kframe

Kframe New Member

Im 33 and in a similar position to you Jesper, with the added bonus of being 100lbs over weight! Ill be rooting for you bro, as I am scared poopless at the thought of having to do full splits and jumping kicks.

9. Gnarlie

Splits and jumping kicks aren't compulsory, though it would be a good idea to try to work towards them in the longer term, as flexibility and explosive strength are desirable even when not kicking high and jumping.

The syllabus and training structure is designed to ease you in gently, not shove you in at the deep end of a black belt class. The fitness and technical aspects will be challenging and you will have to grit your teeth and get through it, that's sort of the point, but you won't be asked to do anything that's potentially unsafe for your fitness and ability level.

If you only do what you are asked to do and don't attempt to copy anything you see advanced grades doing, you'll be fine.

I remember your initial posts before you started losing weight KFrame. I'm glad it's going well for you, and your success so far says very positive things about the power of your will. I am keen to see how you find the non-physical aspects of Taekwondo over time - it should resonate a lot with experiences you have already had.

Kframe likes this.
  10. Kframe

Kframe New Member

Id thank you Gnarlie but the forum wont do it? Your correct they don't push me past my limits and in fact when they do a jumping tech, he has me just do front kicks and or round kicks in there place.. He makes sure I don't hurt my self in stretching but they are encouraging me to try harder each time.

The atmosphere their is very nice. Everyone is friends with everyone else, like a big kicking family. During the course of my class's each of the upper belts cycles out to work with me one on one to get basics while they do their thing.

Ill say this, loosing weight is a pain. Im so close to being under 300lbs, yet the next 3 lbs to get there are being very stubborn. Which just means I need to readjust my diet and maybe spin some more on the bike.

I liked that the first day I learned 4 new kicks I didn't previously know. Which is refreshing from the good old low round kick, teep rinse repeat I am used to. I even did a hook kick and it was a nice head level hook kick! He showed me how to do it, and it looked a bit different then the youtube videos I saw. I don't know how to explain it very well, but it was almost like a front kick that missed and then I snapped it back at a curve. Ill see if I can find a video.

11. Kframe

Kframe New Member

Edit not working When I say hook kick, not a spinning hook kick. Its the one were you don't spin around.

12. Kframe

Kframe New Member

Ok I cant get edit to work. Here is a video of it. Even though its ITF< this is how I was taught it. LOL I didn't meant to say Front kick earlier.

13. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

After a 10 year lay off, I started to learn TKD been doing it for a little over a year now, there is only one person older than me in our club, he is 60 and I am 54. Never to old to start, never to old to enjoy it, have fun

RR

14. alan thompson

alan thompson Member

I'm gonna be 47 in two weeks.and started at 44 so go do it.

15. Intercept

Intercept Member

16. Intercept

Intercept Member

I started at 45 and i can say 100% its the best thing I ever did. I sparr hard and against all the 20 somethings and completely hold my own. I also have gotten so limber over time since I started. I am one belt from Black Belt and love it. I also had smoked cigarettes previously for 25+ years among other things and still have great cardio now. I highly recommend Taekwondo completely. You will get into great shape no matter what age!

17. RobGee789

RobGee789 New Member

It kind of looks like a round kick but a mirror version in stead of snapping out your foot your snapping it in, and those ginger ninja trickster videos are great