Stretching exercises’

Discussion in 'The Dojang' started by burkea3, Mar 31, 2014.

1. burkea3

burkea3 New Member

Hi im new to the forums hello everyone....
    I was just wondering if anyone could reccomend some Stretching exercises’ for my 9 year old son.He has been doing taekwondo for 3 years now and is starting to compete where head shots are being used.I would like for him to be as flexible as he can and get some more height in his kicks with a bit more ease.
    Any help welcome.
    Thanks

2. ssiidd

ssiidd Active Member

Hello & Welcome!
    I can only advise on adult stretching so can't really help I am afraid. All I can say is, I discourage taking online advice on stretching particularly for kids (esp under the age of 10), the sole reason being the techniques will be difficult to explain and understand and it is very easy to do long term damage.
    My personal view for MA is, start active stretching exercises around the age of 14, before that only do dynamic stretches in a controlled environment. However, I know some children Gymnastics works really well for. In fact most gymnastic stretches are more geared towards anatomy of children.

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Take him to training more regularly. He will learn how to stretch there, and become more flexible through training. Trying to get advice online is, as Ssiidd says, potentially hazardous.

4. Peytton Teh

Peytton Teh New Member

Hi I am new too. As far as i know, can start with front leg raising, 3 set each leg ( DYNAMIC STRETCHING),followed by side lung ( 2sets each leg) and wide split as far as he can, try to touch the floor with his hand (3-4 sets).