Stretching - the long game

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Gnarlie, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

What's your stretching routine? What exercises and how often for how long?

How naturally flexible were you before you started?

What progress have you made?

How do you manage long term goal setting and monitoring?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

The regular knee bends you will find in any TaeKwondo and Karate classes. At times we stretch our legs on each others shoulders or push towards each others legs in a sitting position, but generally knee bends. Nothing fancy. Also some splits excercises for those who can.. The other ones just go as far as they can. Time lapses 5-10 min.

I have done similiar excersises at home, also tried pushing down on my hips to the left and right side in a sitting position to flex them. Things we have been shown once or twice and told to do at home. I never stretch to the point of pain the day after.

How naturally flexible were you before you started?
    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Stiff as a board.

Still stiff as a board in static flexibility. Apparent progress in dynamic flexbility, though most of that is probably due to stronger legs from training, able to swing faster.

My long-term goal was to be able to kick head height, since patterns red belt and above requires it. This I can do nowdays.

4. Gnarlie

Stiff as a board.

Still stiff as a board in static flexibility. Apparent progress in dynamic flexbility, though most of that is probably due to stronger legs from training, able to swing faster.

My long-term goal was to be able to kick head height, since patterns red belt and above requires it. This I can do nowdays.
    .[/QUOTE]

can you?

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

can you?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

No.

6. Gnarlie

Do you think you could make more progress by setting out a defined plan to reach a goal? Or do you believe static flexibility is a lost cause / useless to you?

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

After 4 years of trying and trying , the latter. I can't kick with open hips. Same as a 15 year old. And I will only get stiffer with time.

8. Gnarlie

That would depend on your lifestyle, habits and goals.

In my experience, many instructors and students try to achieve too much, too fast, thereby hindering their long term progress.

For the less genetically flexible among us, that's the progress of millimeters over months, lightly stretching every day. It's worth the wait.

9. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

Static and dynamic, whole body, but sometimes I cheat to only around waist downwards.
    A lot of variations, typically 15 mins.
    Kinda stiff, right side more flexible than left.
    Ever reached full front splits with both legs, side splits requires another inch before it's full.
    Used to check progress everytime, now it's much less controlled. No more regular exercise. I just keep both legs capable of kicking higher than my own head with any kind of kick, especially jumping spinning hook kick.

10. Gnarlie

How old are you Mario? Were you far from that side split when you began?

11. Mario Ray Mahardhika

I'm 30 now. I don't really remember how far, but I guess it took an arm length or so from my groin to the ground when I began.

Gnarlie likes this.
  12. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

You are right about inflexibility and spinning hook kick inability. That's the one kick I can't do at all. How did you know that?

13. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Hmm? I didn't mention their connection actually, but it's easy to understand. Spinning hook kick pushes flexibility on 1 or 2 out of 3 joints:
    - upper body and left leg
    - upper body and right leg
    - left and right legs
    where the last one is a must. Supporting leg will always be straight downward, while kicking leg must form at least 120° to reach head target (always assume your opponent is just as tall as you), that is your minimum side splits to be able to do spinning hook kick. 1 more side that it pushes is either of the first 2, which will be needed if you want to hit higher targets without having full side splits. The idea is to lower your upper body to reach the supporting leg at the same time kicking leg goes to the target. This can give additional bumpy flexibility of around 15° - 30° but the strain between your upper body and supporting leg increases. The final position closely resembles doing front splits facing backwards, rotated 90°.