Suspended board breaking

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by ssiidd, May 15, 2013.

1. ssiidd

ssiidd Active Member

Hi All,

Hoping to get some advice on this. When it comes to suspended board breaking (i.e. someone holding a board with two fingers and having it suspended), what is the most effective kick? Almost everyone I have seen goes for reverse turning, but there has to be more kicks that are equally effective? I am not entirely sure why most people prefer reverse turning, and not many manage to even break at that.

Recovering from pulled hamstrings and a rather nasty ankle sprain it is almost impossible to lift my leg let alone do a reverse turning but kicks such as 360 I do fine. So if I can find alternatives to reverse turning I can try practice.

Many thanks!

2. Anthony Hayward

Anthony Hayward Active Member

Hi, yes the most common kick used for a loose held board is the reverse turning. You will find out as you go that the only way to break a loose held board is via speed. The breaking tool needs to get through the board as quick as possible. If you can't generate the speed you will just bounce off the board and the board will go flying off. The reason the rev turning is the most popular, is that this kick can generate the most amount of speed through the target. The rotation of the hips causes the leg to whip around with great speed.

3. Bob McDowell

Bob McDowell New Member

Utube Bruce Lee doing a step side kick speed kick, simply amazing!!!!!!!!!

4. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

Front kick, turning kick hooking kick, twisting kick.

John McNally likes this.
  5. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Active Member

Speed breaking is what your talking about. You need speed to break a board or brick supported by only one end. Without the speed you would kick it out of the holders hand. You can use any kicking technique that you can do if you have the speed to do it. Power breaking is done with both ends supported. The reverse or spin back kick are usually preferable but again, any kick that you can get speed up will work. I do like to do it with a side kick as well. Master Fahy

6. Aidan84

Aidan84 New Member

I'd suggest a front kick maybe? They're usually pretty quick, but as the guys have said, as long as you do it fast, the specific kick isn't too important. That said, thrust kicks (side, back etc) tend to be slower I think, so they're less suited to speed breaking.

7. ssiidd

ssiidd Active Member

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. Having recently developed adductor tendonitis in my right leg I can barely kick or stretch at the moment, forget reverse turning. Frustrating every time I near a goal in TKD my body throws a spanner in the works, but then I guess this is all part of my TKD journey, something to learn from and mature.

I will try the different kicks as soon as I am back on my feet.

Thanks, again.

8. Blue_Knight

Blue_Knight Active Member

Yes, if you have injuries, it is probably best to stay away from kicks that require rapid contraction of those muscle groups.

I have also used tornado roundhouse kicks with the instep, but it takes some conditioning and getting used to the impact on the surface of the foot. If necessary, it can be done with a shin/instep guard to protect the foot, or while wearing Martial Art shoes. It is also possible to do a tornado kick with the ball of the foot.

If you are interested in speed breaks, but have current limitation of the legs, you could train on speed punches, ridge-hands, and knife-hand strikes.

Blue Knight