taekkyon kicks and taekwondo kicks

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by michael mckenna, Aug 22, 2013.

1. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

what are the differences and similaritys between techniques and theory ?

2. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

I believe this can go on forever like the debate on if the "facts" in the bible ever occurred. With no attempt to sound negative, only honest and factual. but history, as the derivation of the word (his story) says, is padded with misleading or downright false information so as to give something credibility. Very few arts can be traced back more than 100 years. Kenjutsu and wushu (kung fu to the ones who wish to use the incorrect word) can be traced, somewhat accurately, more than 500 years. Of course, how much of the ancient Zhaolin wushu still survives is anyone's guess since China is known to "exaggerate" their history.

I read the alleged histories, but the here and now of what is taught, I feel, is much more important than something way, way back. I am curious to see if anyone offers insights not crossing my mind.

3. Oerjan

Oerjan Active Member

I agree as I really doubt that there are that many People outside Korea that have had enough indepth training in Taek Kyon and Taekwondo to really comment on this. Taek Kyon have in later years come out of Korea and I think there is a couple of small Schools in North America and I know there is on in Europe but for the most part Taek Kyon is confined to Korea. It is a shame really because it is great fun to Train and highly interesting for People interested in Taekwondo history.

I have only had Limited training in it my self during my stays in Korea and from the Traditional Taekwondo Union summercamps so I will not even try to give an answer. There are videos on youtube that might give you an idea, but then again video is a bad format to learn martial arts from. I will say this though, no matter which Method you choose (Taek Kyon or Taekwondo) a good practisioner will kick frightfully fast and powefull... :)

Is there anyone on this forum that has had indepth training in Taek Kyon?

4. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

There are very few people qualified to answer this question with authority, but here's what I believe to to be true.

Taekkyon was around for a long time before the japanese occupation of Korea, but may have all but died out prior to the occupation. It seems a single source survived and resurrected the art and it has enjoyed some popularity in Korea in its modern form. Very few westerners are ranked or qualified to teach it.

The late Grandmaster Al Cole of Cleveland Ohio became one of the first westerners to gain rank in the art, and began to teach it out of his Dojang in the US along with other Korean Martial Arts, and organised courses with Korean instructors to train the first pioneers of Taekkyon in the US. Unfortunately GM Cole passed away in February, a sad loss to the Taekwondo community and the world. He was a great mentor to many, myself included. He definitely could have answered your question.

I know GM Cole's advertisements specifically looked for people with TKD experience to learn Taekkyon, because many of the techniques are similar.

More information on Taekkyon here:

http://www.taekkyonkorea.com/event/engtk/

Ade Tomlinson likes this.
  5. michael mckenna

i would love to learn taekkyon there is a place in france that teaches it and ive heard of a dojang in london who teaches it personally i'd love to be the person who brings it to scotland if there isnt already one but i would want to go to korea to learn in straight from the horses mouth ive looked on the internet for courses and class's in korea but i cant find much if you have a link please send it to me sir

6. UK-Student

UK-Student Active Member

My thought on this is that how do we know that the modern art of Taekkyon is linked in any way to the older art? Being modern doesn't make it bad but it strikes me that people in Korea remembered that Taekkyon used to exist but was now gone or underground. Then people said that Taekwondo was Taekkyon but it wasn't. Now people say Taekkyon is back but do we really have any way of knowing whether or not it is just a new martial arts idea appropriating a historical name? I imagine it probably just goes down to "his word against hers" and we've already been fooled once by that.

7. michael mckenna

i think some authentic taekkyon was saved and others filled in the gaps from what they have been told or what they thought or possibly even alot of kukkiwon influence played a large role in the supposed revival of the game

UK-Student likes this.
  8. michael mckenna

also from what i know the few kwans that did know taekkyon either they knew alot or a little didnt directly teach it to there karate,judo, kung fu or to put it simply korean karate students. general choi knew some taekkyon but hardly any

UK-Student likes this.
  9. Ken_taekkyon

Ken_taekkyon New Member

With respect there was more than one Taekkyon master left after Japanese occupation.
    Within Seoul there were Taekkyon masters famed for their fighting. These are listed
    as follows.

WangShimRi area, Seoul
    1845 ParkTolBaek
    1880 ShinJaeYong

Guri area, Seoul
    1880 ParkMuKyong
    1900 KimHongShik

JongRo area, Seoul
    1880 - ImHo
    1900 - SongDokLee
    1936 - ShinHanSong

As well as these famed Taekkyon masters, there still would
    have have been lesser masters and students. Not many at all, but a few.

10. Ken_taekkyon

Ken_taekkyon New Member

Please disregard the last two names.
    They were not known for their fighting prowess.

The last name, ShinHanSong was known for tirelessly
    trying to pass it on to others and preserve it.

11. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

That's what I meant by 'very few people' being qualified to answer. There's little documented evidence and few people who were there at the time and would know the truth of the situation.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

12. Ken_taekkyon

Ken_taekkyon New Member

Yes. I agree with you, that there is little documented evidence and few people
    who were there at that time, and who would know the truth of the situation.

I am using a phone, and am having trouble posting photographs.
    When I pressed the photograph icon it asked for url.

Anyway, now I have a document written in Korean and Chinese.
    It lists the prominent taekkyon people at that time before and at the begining of Japanese occupation.

Ofcourse this is only useful to those of you who can read chinese and korean.
    Unfortunately, documents of this type will not be in english.

Once again, the arguement will arise of who wrote it as so very few taekkyon
    practitioners were around during the period in question.

This is not to start any arguements. Just a friendly discussion. Cheers.