TaeKwonDo kicks in particular bad for the knees in the long run, true or false?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Pleonasm, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

It has been suggested that because of TKDs emphasis on kicking with the foot, whip-like, rather than the hole leg, like Muay Thai that TaeKwonDo kicks in particular are terrible for the knees.

How many of you TKDoins out there have had knee surgery soley because of TKD?

3. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

There are three common ways, combined or separate, that make joint issues a problem:

1) Kicking constantly in the air with no target to take the energy.
    2) Kicking a heavy bag day after day with full power.

and the most common I see from many (including very high ranking masters)

3) Improper technique from either trying to kick higher than flexibility allows or just plain ignorance.

It is not often you hear of Okinawan/Japanese practitioners needing hip replacements from the snap kicks they do that are, allegedly, bad for the knees. Future injuries are usually the result of doing something repetitively with bad form fo years and that is why I teach kicking with the internal mostly (broken down movements very slow) and external (faster with pads and bags), I refuse, when I can, to have students simply kicking in the air.

4. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

TaeKwondo guys constantly kicking in the air? That hasn't been my experience, and I've done both ITF and WTF. We mainly kick mitts, or each others shoulders, stomach, hands, etc.

Narcsarge likes this.
  5. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

My knee has never been problematic, my injury is almost always in my hamstring (I often skip stretching). IMO, properly executed, TKD kicks are safe. It's improper execution (using heel instead of ball of foot to rotate, not spinning hips to follow foot rotation, not rotating kicking leg close enough to lateral axis, etc.) that leads to injury and a lot of practitioners do that. My last master had a knee injury, but that's because of historical battle where he got hit so hard there and the bone there cracked.
    It's common in schools whose number of students is more than twice the available mitts. I was trained that way sometimes (I did get the chance to kick mitts when in luck) since my school was too poor to afford enough mitts.

6. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

You couldn't ask students to bring more mitts?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  7. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

No, not just the school, but the students were also poor. Mits were quite expensive that day.

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Member

Did you notice a great improvement in power once you started using mitts more often in your training?

9. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

False. Incorrect technique is bad for the knees.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk