Taekwondo / Martial art Movies

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by sqgear, Apr 27, 2012.

1. sqgear

sqgear Member

just thought about some common and interesting topic of discussion ....

1. Best Of the Best : everything about teamwork and sportmanship
    2. The Foot Fist Way : classic movie about TWD .

UK-Student likes this.
  2. Aika

Aika New Member

Fist of Legend

Man, this is by far, the best Jet Li movie I've seen.Choreography is raw with very real but dazzling moves. Don't miss out on this if you're a martial arts fan.

UK-Student likes this.
  3. sqgear

sqgear Member

then what would you say about Bruce Lee's " Fist of Fury "!

UK-Student likes this.
  4. Jay Caudill

Jay Caudill New Member

I LOVE Best of the Best. I watch it all the time.
    The Purifiers. It's an odd flick but there are a few great TKD fight scenes. Also Jackie Chan's Who am I? There is a scene on the roof, one of the best fight scenes ever in MA cinema, and those dudes are using TKD as well.

UK-Student likes this.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

Are you referring to this one? :)

UK-Student likes this.
  6. Jay Caudill

Jay Caudill New Member

YES! I love that scene!

UK-Student likes this.
  7. crdomke

crdomke New Member

8. sqgear

sqgear Member

oh yes ...i watched the movie @ jay was referring to ....and i liked it a lot..now its time for IP man

UK-Student likes this.
  9. Tony73

Tony73 New Member

Tony Jaa in Ong Bok! Amazing film/Amazing artist!! If you haven't heard of him yet, youtube his name.......Awesome!!!!

UK-Student, Master Fahy and Chasm like this.
  10. Chasm

Chasm New Member

yup I also got pointed at his clips yesterday, truly amazing stuff and no stunt help or wires, mind boggling levels of fitness and agility

UK-Student likes this.
  11. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

Tony Jaas scene in the restaurant in Tom Yum Goong is arguably one of the best scenes filmed. This while clip is one scene i.e. one take. The vast majority of films, martial arts films and regular films, rarely film a scene this long as so much can go wrong. They usually change camera and then change back etc.

The fact that this whole thing was filmed at once is astounding. Plus, you can see him using Taekwondo techniques in many of his fights.

I'm a huge Donnie Yen fan so loved the ip man films. The guys a living legend :)

12. Kenji

Kenji New Member

Bruce lee put martial arts on the map for MA cinema watchers today, its a shame his sone died on a set of a movie just like his father. Here is one of my favorite: “Enter the Dragon” One of the most famous Bruce Lee movies of all times. Released in 1973, this movie features Bruce Lee posing as acontestant in a martial art tournament to take down a drug lord.

UK-Student and Master Fahy like this.
  13. Jon Sloan

Jon Sloan Member

"Best of The Best" was good, I also like Van Damme's "Bloodsport" and "The Quest". "The Last Samurai" and "Seven Samurai" are great period pieces.

UK-Student likes this.
  14. alan thompson

alan thompson Member

Its got to be IP MAN 1 and 2 and im hearing that the 3rd film is on its way

UK-Student likes this.
  15. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

I think there is re telling of Ip Man coming out, not necessarily Ip Man 3.

That being said this is coming up and I heard that it will be the last Jackie Chan movie where he does all his own stunts.

UK-Student and alan thompson like this.
  16. ssiidd

ssiidd Active Member

[I was about to create a similar thread but since there is already one ...]

The most recent TKD film I watched is "The Kick", it is WTF endorsed.

My favourite (TKD specific) film since Best of the Best is "Spin Kick"

The title song in the vid is one I sometimes use when solo training. I like the fact that I can watch it with different age groups and it is great fun. I think the full version was also available on YouTube at some point.

Another film I have been trying to find a copy of is:

I am sure there are other Korean TKD titles out there.

UK-Student and John McNally like this.
  17. AikoTKD

AikoTKD New Member

If you want to discuss the worst martial arts movies of all times, I came across this martial arts move called "Gym Kata". It's on YouTube and I've seen it on Verizon Fios on-demand (USA). It's so awful that it is enjoyable and I often find myself watching it on occassion.

I've noticed that martial arts movies have been on the steady decline since the 1990's and have come to a grinding halt. (At least in the USA.) I miss those movies! It seems the only guy doing some sort of martial arts moves in fighting scenes is the Transporter guy.

UK-Student likes this.
  18. John McNally

John McNally Active Member

Transoprter Jason Statham is keeping it real :) Just watched the "Gym Kata" i reacon the cat killed the guy in the chair, he meowed then ran of scared of his red knit ware :D.

19. TKDZen1975

TKDZen1975 New Member

Ah...the movies that inspire us. As mentioned previously the first two BOTB movies additionally I have the following. The older ones are what I watched when I first got into martial arts & the newer ones are just bad to the bone.

No Retreat, No Surrender 1,2 &3
    King of the Kickboxers (Loren Avedon, Keith Cooke,Billy Blanks....nuff said)
    Ring of Fire (Don the Dragon's only good movie IMHO. Loved Gary Daniels in this)
    Undisputed 2 & 3 (Scott Adkins is just a freak0
    Kill 'Em All (very new movie but it has the Superkicker Super Freak Tim Man showing his stuff)

20. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Active Member

Favorite film, hands down is "Enter the Dragon" Bruce Lee's number one! I do rank Ong Bak right up there also! Tony Jaa is a favorite as well! Master Fahy

John Hulslander and UK-Student like this.