taekwondo practitioner learning karate ?

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by michael mckenna, Dec 16, 2013.

1. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

ive been thinking for awhile on maybe taking a goju ryu class once a week to test it out but i dont know if it would have any benefit or contradictions to my taekwondo. any thoughts on this ? would be especially good to hear from someone who does both and give there advice on it

2. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

I did a bit of karate. Its very very similar to TKD, but I did shokotan and my experience is very limited. Wouldnt think there would be a major problem though. There is a reason TKD is commonly called korean karate :)

3. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

If you have a minimum of 1st degree it should not be confusing. Otherwise, ....

4. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Agree. 1st dan is wise before mixing, especially where arts are similar.

5. michael mckenna

just thought i'd give it a try in the future

6. Anthony Hayward

Anthony Hayward Active Member

Michael.. You may find that the non sinewave used in Karate may be a hinderence to your ITF...
    I noticed this when I trained for a while with a non sinewave TKD.
    My background was true ITF which involved sinewave etc. I changed to another club for a while (closer to home) which didn't use the sinewave. I found it hard to adapt. I have now gone back to the true ITF style and I find now that I over exagerate the sinewave/ backward motion a bit as a compensation for not using it. I am just starting to get back to the right amount of backward motion, sine wave etc.
    Just a thought to think about if you intend on competing in ITF tournaments..

7. michael mckenna

im not in the iTF sir i am in the GTF. but i see your point i was thinking of that when i posted this

8. Oerjan

Oerjan Active Member

Not sure I would do that before having a very solid grounding in Taekwondo. If it is to enrich your Taekwondo it should be done after you have mastered the basics of the system. Around 1st Dan as people allready have suggested sounds reasonable to me. We are all different though so it might be different for you.

I do think it is a good idea to do this when you have mastered the basics though. I have never formally trained anything else than Taekwondo (except one year of Hapkido) but I do share knowledge with other people and train with other people from various martial arts in my own time and I have learned a lot about Taekwondo through this exchange. My teacher once said that to understand your own house you sometimes have to go outside to look at it from another angle. Crosstraining with other arts is one way of doing this.

Could I ask you a question in return: Why Goju Ryu specifically? Why not any of the other Karate arts out there? The different Kwan founders had experiences with Shito Ryu, Shudokan and Shotokan Karate, why not any one of those?:)

9. michael mckenna

well to tell you the truth i dunno really maybe its because ive recently been reading alot on it. a friend of mine in america loves it and tells me about stuff all the time, the circular motions sounds like my kind of thing and considering its not been changed much since it was formed i have to wonder why it hasnt been changed much and see how it is.

10. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

Coming from a different rout to TKD, Sure there are things I did in other martial arts that are not used in TKD, or done in different ways, some only slightly different, Some traditionalists may think that studying another MA will infect their style, I personally think its a shame because knowledge is not a bad thing, looking at techniques, trying techniques in different ways, can help.

Again personally I would give it a go, then you can make up your own mind, one or two lessons are not going to make much difference.

RR

11. Anthony Hayward

Anthony Hayward Active Member

Oh Sorry mate.. I thought it was ITF you were under.. anyway best of luck... I guess it depends on what your goal is with martial arts.. I have dabbled in a couple of different styles of martial arts but keep coming back to TKD.. I believe to master one art, you need to commit yourself to just one art.. Just my opinion...
    On the other hand if you are just looking at the fighting aspect then by all means give it a go. After all there is no complete martial art.

12. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

Goju Ryu is a good system and as far as I know they are more application based than some other Karate styles.

With regards to cross training I think you should define your goals clearly before you start. Is is a new angle of applications, or is it to make up for something you feel is lacking in your own training.

With a style that has similar movements etc. to your current style be careful of getting mixed, There are a few different ways of throwing a punch for example (using sine wave, using hips, vertical fist, horizontal fist, other hand to the hip or to the head) and each style will tell you that there way is good or even better than others ways. Cross training is sometimes finding a way that you prefer doing something

13. michael mckenna

the thing im really looking for is a better understanding of karate, i can read about it all i want watch as much videos as i please but if i dont do it then i wont understand it. right now im focusing on taekwondo and even doing private lessons with my instructor for self defesne techniques, throws, takedowns, joint locks, ground defense and a touch up on my sparring and patterns

14. darylb11005

darylb11005 New Member

I've done more Shotokan karate in my lifetime than TKD, and from that experience I have found it far more difficult to go from TKD to karate than from karate to TKD (I've made the switch both ways a number of times due to moving from one area to another quite a bit in the last few years). I attribute this to two major reasons. First, traditional Japanese (or Okinawan) karate schools tend to put far more emphasis on correct stances. These stances tend to be more exaggerated than what I've experience in TKD. I feel this makes for a steeper learning curve. The second reason is more personal, that I have concluded my body simply adapts to TKD better than it ever did to Shotokan. However, you may have a far different experience with it.