Taekwondo punching/ kicking bag

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Sobaka, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Sobaka

Sobaka New Member

Hello, I wanted to get good but not too expensive punching bag that stands by it self so I can train at home. Dose any one have an idea? Or any other method of training at home?

2. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Depends on your level...

3. Sobaka

Sobaka New Member

Im green belt

4. Gnarlie

Then I would not recommend bag work. Work on pure technique, slow kicking with and without a chair to lean on. Build up your kicking muscles and balance skills. Work on combinations, stances, forms, single basic movements. Get as close to perfect as you can with your current understanding.

Concentrate on getting the correct foot and hand shape and striking surface. Think about the start point, the end point and the path.

Concentrate on consistency.

Kick bag later.

canadiankyosa and Sobaka like this.
  5. Gnarlie

Stick a tape measure vertically to your bedroom wall. Hold your apchagi, yeopchagi and dollyochagi and dwichagi up to it every day. Monitor your progress in terms of height and duration held.

Combine this with dynamic and static stretching.

At first you will get cramps quickly but you will make quick progress past that, and your kicking, distance judgement and balance skills will improve much faster than they will throwing techniques against a bag.

Once confident with holding kicks at head or chest height without wobbling, start working speed. Power comes from speed, speed comes from relaxation, relaxation comes from active flexibility, balance and strength. There is no stage in this chain which can be skipped.

Then you will be ready for pad and bag work without injury.

Most important is being honest with yourself, and always working on your weaknesses first.

Sobaka likes this.
  6. Sobaka

Sobaka New Member

Thanks, That sound like a very good idea, hopefully ill get better!

7. JoeP

JoeP New Member

I used to fill bags with gravel before I had money to buy an actaul bag

8. Royen

Royen New Member

I agree Gnarlie

Consistency is very important. Build up your kicking muscles and balance skills. My brother told me that his Master Lee also advises him to work on combinations, stances, forms, single basic movements as it is essential.

Sobaka likes this.