Taekwondo techniques

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Sparring' started by Finlay, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

With the evolution of sparring how does everyone here feel about adopting techniques from other arts?

Granted there are not many that would fit in to the rules of sparring, bjj double leg takedowns or muai thai leg kicks for examples. But would you throw in superman punches to your lessons

For me I see no problem with this, what do other think?

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

If it is within the competition rules and it gives an advantage, then yes. Superman punch has to be modified to fit WTF sparring because the start point is above the shoulder which is illegal.

4. Matt

Matt Member

I think it is very interesting especially with the adaptation of electronic hogu sparring. The newest kick I have seen used has been dubbed the "money" kick. It really resembles no kick at all and is just an easy way to get the bottom of your foot to the center. It is executed by getting into a clinch and then just lifting your leg and using the bottom of your foot to the hog. There is no real power to it but it gets points and works. I feel that as the sport develops people will always develop new kicks or new strategy like the whole lifting and fighting with only the lead leg a few years back.

5. Gnarlie

*monkey kick

It is powerful enough!

6. teagentleman

teagentleman New Member

As I understand it, it was ever thus. I think Taekwondo has always nicked useful stuff from other martial arts from the very start - most obviously Karate, but not exclusively.

Generally speaking, I think this should be encouraged, we should always be looking for ways to improve and innovate. Having said that though, if a technique is utter rubbish like, in my view, the monkey kick, we equally shouldn't be afraid to change the sparring rules to get rid of it. It's not exciting to watch and doesn't strike me as particularly skilful. It doesn't even have any decent self defence application as far as I can tell...

7. The monkey kick is a game changer and a result of Pressure Scoring System. Interestingly, the KPP System(Daedo's competitor) used in AAU and possibly in USAT next year, was developed by a couple of engineers that studied Karate. o_O
    They decided that if the sensors on the foot connect to the Hogu with a certain velocity set for the Gender and Weight Division, then it's a proper strike. I agree with the Theory, but the system is flawed; since there are no sensors on the ball of the foot(For One). A crippling front kick to the Diaphragm could result in an 8 count(Even through the Hogu), but not a point?

Game changers are so important because they force Players to change strategies and evolve. Rule changes are good too, except when the stagnate the evolution of the sport. For example, Players are no longer allowed to hold their leg up for 3 seconds without making contact. This is because it impedes an opponents kick. Perhaps it's dangerous, but we collide shins all the time. That's a lot worse than kicking someone's shin that's not moving. This rule sort of doubles up on the rule that you cannot be evasive or non-aggressive for more than 10 seconds at a time plus you cannot block with the leg.

Strategies are supposed to form out of these types of game changers, and guess what! It all comes down to the fundamentals. How do you get around someone's leg hanging in the air? A number of ways, but my favorite would have to be a Spinning hook kick to the face. Servet Tazegul pulls it off every time someone hangs their Cut Kick up for a little too long.

As long as the Monkey Kick remains, Players are going to figure out that they can't use the clench to rest anymore. Clench's will become more exciting with the development of Grapple-esque(without Grabbing) techniques and continuous movement, for fear of getting pwned like a noob because you fell asleep on the inside. In the Clench, you have to do work, no one would be able to monkey kick.

When I see a Monkey Kick, I think it might be more suited as a Compliance Technique when you're trying to bring someone down into your Full Guard.

Pil Sung!

8. Royen

Royen New Member

Sounds like everyday you guys learn something new; may be my brother understand all these terms.

9. Matt

Matt Member

I think that clinching is still a decent way to catch a break/breath. The average official will give about 4 seconds maybe a little more, maybe a little less before they break it. That adds up over time, and if you're ahead in a match it is still a decent way to try and conserve your lead. But yes, the clinch is also becoming more and more dangerous, I have seen an increase in spin hook kick from the close range which can be very deadly.

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Some dispute that superman punches are part of TKD, because it's a jumping version of a basic technique. Also crescent punches, known from boxing, are also part of TKD.

0:16

11. Matt

Matt Member

@Pleonasm where do you see a "superman" punch in Eui Yam???

12. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I didn't say superman punches are part of any pattern. I said crescent punches are also part of Chang Hon TKD, not only in the encyclopeda, but also one of the patterns.

13. Gnarlie

Superman punch in principle as a sparring technique can be adapted to fit the rules. Within those rules, however, it makes absolutely no tactical sense. Too much wasted time in the air, too easy to counter, a sitting duck for dwichagi while in the air.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk