Teaching Patterns

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by Matt, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Matt

Matt Member

What is your individual opinion on teaching yourself patterns either by a textbook or through videos? This can also include whether or not it is morally correct to do so with our without your head instructors permission to learn a certain pattern.

Personally, I think there comes a time when one needs to venture out and teach themselves some of the material. I have come across a few times where my Master has told me to learn a certain part of a pattern on my own and then we go through it together the following week. I think that patterns are something that should be passed down by the instructor to student. However, as videos are more available my students are teaching themselves patterns that are not how our school does them or the videos are just wrong or the thing the videos are correct and accuse the instructors of being wrong.

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

You can do what you want privately. In the age of the internet, there's no excuse for learning anything other than the standard for your organisation. Your instructor can fine tune.

You won't really learn much other than the order of motions though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ade Tomlinson likes this.
  4. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

patterns are done different in different organizations.

patterns should only be passed from instructor to student otherwise why have an instructor at all

5. Matthias F. Duelp

Matthias F. Duelp New Member

as far as you learn patterns just as the name implies as patterns, usually needed to achieve rank and trophies, you definitly must adhere to your organisations or instructors way to do it. When you start out on using these patterns in a meaningful, selfdefense orientated context it's sensible to have a look at all the variations a form may have as well as similar ones. Sometimes this helps considerably to understand the content of the pattern in question. An example might be kosokun (kushanku) > pinan shodan > heian nidan > won hyo hong > taebaek poomse