team pattern

Discussion in 'The Video Room' started by Finlay, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

I'm not arguing with you.

That doesn't make the performance in the OP video any better.

2. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I am saying based on the difficulty level, it would have been unreasonable to not grade them to at least 1 dan (supposing Juche was for 1 Dan).

That doesn't mean that I would expect them to win a first round of any competition in pattern.

3. Gnarlie

I disagree. How long have you been an examiner?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  4. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

I always like team poomsae, on which I wonder why it doesn't get into competitions earlier than kyorugi. Poomsae can have a lot of categories, for team alone it could be simple synchronization (2 or more starting from the same direction and the same time), different starting direction with occassional timing difference (as shown in this video) up to several doing different compatible freestyle. We always do team poomsae every year when attracting new students.

About the video itself, it does show a result of some decent training, despite there are miss here and there. As I don't know ITF patterns, I can't really judge the performance. Only from synchronization POV, they don't do bad job, just not the best.

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I have a higher rank in ITF than you do. You are a white belt.

6. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

Since there are a few non ITF practitioners I thought it would be helpful to put up a good example of the form

A few caveats may be in order

The person performing is Mr. Suska who has won multiple word titles in patterns.

This is not meant as a comparison to the girls in the original video but more as a reference.

My opinion on the pattern in the original is that juche is a very tough pattern that if you are not very good at looks poor.

That being said, there are a few issues I have with the way the pattern is performed. Not matter physical ability you should be able to perform the pattern is such a way that you show some understanding of the pattern.

The cadence of the pattern was quite fast and as such affected the power/apparent power of the movements. Some of the kicks were performed incorrectly.

7. Gnarlie

Double post. Crashed phone.

8. Gnarlie

Nope. Not what I mean. Who are you to decide whether that form is good enough for 1st Dan?

There are basic principles common to KKW and ITF Taekwondo which are weak in that performance. You're not in a position to understand what they are.

9. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Oh, really. The ITF I know and love completely distance themselves from the KKW/WTF and concider only themselves to be true TKD.

10. Gnarlie

That's WHY you're not in a position to understand what they are.

11. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

The ITF people I train with and me are not the same thing. I do take some interest in the KKW, but not because I like them. I am also a former student in KKW in 2006 and didn't even know that the ITF existed back then.

12. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I don't think Suska is good example of how to perform the patterns. Just my opinion.

And yes, the spin kicks were performed incorrectly by the team you linked.

13. Gnarlie

If you can't appreciate some commonality between the two, you must be even less capable than I thought.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

14. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I actually recall what kicks we drilled in the KKW and they are not part of the ITFs (although I have seen them on occassion pulled off in sparring, like once in 200). Can't say that there were much commonalities at all. I would basically be a white belt visiting a KKW club, in terms of practical experience.

15. Gnarlie

Then there really is no hope for you. You might as well give up now.

16. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Double jumping roundhouse kicks in my ITF training? - No

Spinning, jumping roundhouse kick - No.

I don't even know the proper terminology for it.

If they asked me to pull off a spinning sidekick they would see that I am TKDoin, though.

17. Gnarlie

I said common principles, not techniques. You really have little insight, that much is clear.

18. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Completely different there too. We have a theory of Sinewave, you guys do not.

19. Gnarlie

Oh well that makes them totally different then.

Waist twist? Weight shift? Samjae?

To name but three. The big three.

20. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Not when performing Sine Wave there isn't:) That's a big "no no" in ITF.