team pattern

Discussion in 'The Video Room' started by Finlay, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

I don't. It's OK, just not brilliant.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

The ITF judges disagreed since he was world champion in 97 (assuming he isn't any worse now). The main problem in judging rival arts or styles patterns is that you couldn't distinguish intentionality from inability. ITF judging don't operate on the same assumptions as rival arts or styles. For an example, if you criticism of incompleteness in technical delivery is intentional within the ITF, how could his performance be suboptimal?

3. Gnarlie

I wouldn't call it a rival art. Taekwondo is Taekwondo.
    Maybe you can't. The orgs have enough in common technically for a dan grade in one to be able to see with a little experience what is correct / good and what is not in the other. At least I can.
    Because the techniques are clearly incomplete and the techniques are not intended to be performed as such. This particular performance of a form is just OK, with some fairly obvious flaws, regardless of which org the observer's background is under.

4. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

That's why I wrote rival arts or styles. It's debatable whether it's the same art, but they are different styles nonetheless.

Which techniques?

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Clearly not since he was world champion, and I'd bet my life savings he didn't perform it differently when he won.

6. Gnarlie

They are not sufficiently different that a seasoned eye can't see flaws in basic technique.

There are some obviously incomplete techniques in there. If you can't see them, it might be an experience thing.

7. Gnarlie

Bet what you like, it's meaningless. World Champion can mean a lot of different things. At it's core, it means he was judged to have performed better on the day than the other people participating in that event, for the individual performances he delivered on the day.

That does not mean that this pattern is not flawed.

8. Gnarlie

Bet what you like, it's meaningless. World Champion can mean a lot of different things. At it's core, it means he was judged to have performed better on the day than the other people participating in that event, for the individual performances he delivered on the day.

That does not mean that this pattern is not flawed. 1997 was a long time ago.

9. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

You don't know what you are talking about, or else you would get specific.

10. Gnarlie

Yes, two decades in multiple nations and arts and I have no clue in comparison to your holy two year bluebeltness. Whatever.

Open fists, incomplete / incorrect chambers, incomplete kicks (i.e. not travelling their full path), techniques taking incorrect paths and inability to control the flinch response to his own techniques, which is a pet peeve of mine so I always notice it. Watch his eyes throughout.

These are all flaws that are common in all martial arts, regardless of affiliation. It's an experience thing.

11. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

No, they are not. Kicks are intentionally chambered differently in ITF patterns. It evolved that way whether you like it or not. This is trivial if you had actual experience in ITF.

12. Gnarlie

Not talking about kick chambers, but feel free to go off on one.

13. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Fine. This is however clear ignorance of ITF forms. "Incomplete kicks not travelling their full path". I understand now why you were reluctant to get specific.

14. Gnarlie

Nothing to do with the chamber.

15. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

That's right, and why I wrote "fine" and adressed another one of your points.

16. Gnarlie

If you can't see what I'm referring to, you must be blind. It's definitely an experience thing.

17. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Yeah, got to be right=? I mean I couldn't possibly know more about our own forms than a KKW representative.

18. Gnarlie

I'm not just a KKW representative bud. And you're a blue belt with a shabby attitude towards your own art and everyone else's, so I don't think we're dealing with an expert here. If you learn your forms with the same level of respect you display here, then I'm not surprised you don't see it. You seem to be more interested in measuring everything against Karate that actually learning.

19. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I don't have any attitude towards my arts techniques or patterns. I personally prefer the TKD bodymechanics over Muay Thai. I just don't like Sine Wave. That's all.

20. Gnarlie

Not how it comes across bud.