team pattern

Discussion in 'The Video Room' started by Finlay, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I don't care how it comes across. Fact is that I choose TaeKwonDo over Karate despite being the offspring of a shihan, chief instructor, and gold medalist in Karate. That is loyalty! Even my instructor doesn't get it.

2. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

This is a problem that will stunt your growth as a martial artist and as a person:

And this:
    Is one of the results.
    Or is it? You seem to be so obsessed with your father's achievements and it seems to drive you to constantly compare with Karate, as if you wish you had taken another path. I wonder if you're really happy with your lot.

3. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

To pretend that Karate and TaeKwonDo are unrelated is just silly. Of course I see relevance in comparing it to the parent art given that the philosophy: "one punch, one kill", relaxation principle, patterns, techniques, training methods, are all lifted from Shotokan.

4. Gnarlie

To pretend that the Koreans and international practitioners haven't developed it since then is equally questionable.

To pretend that these changes are not for the better is equally questionable.

To pretend that we don't know more now about sports science, risk, modern threats, self protection and application, and modern cultural demand than we did then is frankly absurd.

I don't understand why people want to cling to a snapshot of the past. Learning from the past is OK, but staying there is to stagnate and eventually become irrelevant to the modern world.

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I didn't claim that they didn't or else I would be training Shotokan. These specific commonalities however are still at the core of TKD and cannot be avoided. I find analysis on parent arts quite fruitful and interesting discussions. This inevitably leads to debunking nonsensical claims attributing certain properties to TKD which are, in fact, from Karate. I just listed a host of points which were simply renamed and repackaged as TaeKwonDo. FACT.

6. Gnarlie

You seem quite keen to assert that point. To me, it's pretty irrelevant, because the way that Taekwondo has moved on and progressed has taken it far from its roots, whatever they might be.

Modern Taekwondo is very different to Shotokan in its understanding of principles, both philosophical and physical. Treating Taekwondo training as Shotokan with a Korean twist will lead to a very poor understanding of Taekwondo as a whole.

7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

How would you know that if you don't know Karate? You stated yourself that TKD is all that interests you.

8. Gnarlie

Because modern Taekwondo is very different to what Taekwondo was in the 50's, even if there was a link to Shotokan. Ergo, modern Taekwondo is very different to Shotokan.

Besides, I've been around a while and participated in enough various Karate crossover events to know that the two are like completely dissimilar peas in different pods.

9. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Taekwondo in the 50s was Shotokan. Koreans under Japanese occupation learned Karate, the dominant style taught being Shotokan, and passed on that knowledge. That's what they knew.

Comparing two different sport aspects. I am sure you learned the core principles of Shotokan based on that.

10. Gnarlie

Never said they were sport events. Actually, your assumption is wrong.

11. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Doesn't make a difference either way, demonstrations, sport, you don't gain insight to Shotokan from that. TKD patterns are from Shotokan, as are the techniques.

12. Gnarlie

Nope, not demonstrations either, so, keep assuming.

You can continue to think what you like, it's called confirmation bias. Doesn't make it correct, and it will hamper your progress as a Taekwondoin.

13. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I don't care what you mean by crossover event. You hold no serious rank or formal training in Shotokan and thus know absolutely knothing about it. I have a shihan in Shotokan as a father. Big difference.

14. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

[QUOTE="Gnarlie, post: 13789, member: 1125"
    And this:

Is one of the results.
    .[/QUOTE]

I said my instructor doesn't get why I am training TaeKwonDo given who my father is. I don't know what you read into that.

15. Gnarlie

And no rank or real experience yourself. Martial arts abilities and knowledge aren't hereditary fella.

You don't know what experience I have.

But that's not the point. The point has been addressed: modern Taekwondo is very different to Shotokan, because it has developed (IMO for the better) since the 50's.

You seem to be intent on an ad hominem track.

16. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I never claimed TKD and Shotokan are the same. The biggest differences between them as arts is really only generalizations. Shotokan has an emphasis on punching, while TKD has an emphasis on kicking. But there are schools where in fact this does not hold true, depending on the instructors background.

17. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Oh, Martial arts abilities are hereditary for sure... My handspeed is from my father, and my mother was a jumper. I*ve accidentially crashed into my instructor when training aerials. He didn't think I would reach that far. Nobody jumps like I do in the school.

18. Gnarlie

Positions might be similar, but movement is completely different.

19. Gnarlie

Those aren't skills, they are traits. Having a martial artist as a father does not automatically make you one.

20. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I didn't say that they were skills or that it makes me a martial artist. Point is that I don't coexist with him in a vacuum. All we talk about is martial arts.