Test rituals/prep?

Discussion in 'The Dojang' started by John Hulslander, Apr 4, 2013.

1. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

Do you have any specific rituals and prep work that you do for an exam?

rituals-
    We have a three hour drive for our exams. This means getting up pretty early for the drive. There is a specific stop that we make every time down, and we go to the same pizza place to celebrate after every exam. We also pretty much make the same pit stop on the way back from every exam as well.

prep-
    For our gups- I run at least one simulated exam about two weeks out to give the gups a feel for what they need to work on come test time.
    For dans- I stress that they view a 1 year window of prep time for exams. This means upping their training for that period. In that year, I give the dans more leeway to work on their own(i.e. less instruction time) and I make sure that they are to demonstrate their knowledge weekly in front of the class.
    We have a specific program for first dan candidates that we started recently.

How about you?
    Lucky doboks? that sort of thing.

2. John McNally

John McNally Active Member

Dear Master Hulslander.
    We have a simular routine here, for colour belts they usualy get a pre grade lesson for indevidual progress report, its not obligatory but there if they want to.
    Black belts have to attend specific pre black belt grading sessions of which 6 are available a year and they must attend 3 of them every year and all 6 in the run up to the actual Grading.
    Every lesson they also must demonstrate their knowledge by assisting in some way and at least once a week perform a grade specific Tul and choice Tul.

As for traditions of grading days, we always meet after black belt gradings to celebrate, when we can we arrange a get together after colour belt grading too.

Personaly i have a tradition of meditaton and get a squash court for me to close my eyes and go through all Tuls physically at least 2 times in the month prior to my own grading.