Testing

Discussion in 'The Instructors Room' started by Deathnever, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Deathnever

Deathnever Member

So my master has agreed to change testing and add more physical components into testing as well as the traditional aspects.

I was wondering how you guys did your testing?

Currently we have
    Pattern, kicks, self defense techniques, 1 step sparring, board breaking, sparring

I've advocated to adding physical portions for each belt (push ups, squats, burpees, etc) that scale as the belts get higher. I've been doing some research and of course I cant have the same standard for all age/groups. Maybe you guys have ideas or suggestions on scale?

I had something like this in mind, but Im not sure at where i should start and then at what point is it too many?
    Whitebelt: 5Push ups 5 Squats
    Yellow belt: 10 Push ups 10 squats

3. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

I would consider a few things.

An 8 year old 9th gup vs a 20 year old 9th gup. Is the physical expectation the same?

Why pushups and squats? Why not sit ups as well? Why no cardio?

Consider the logistics of the exam. At push ups and squats, you aren't making it that much more difficult to administer, but I am not sure what you are really testing.

Now, I know a school or two that have a fitness pre testing at the dan level. I would support something like that for our school.

4. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

I would recommend looking at how law enforcement and or the military measure fitness. There's more to fitness than push ups and squats. Also, there's a difference between the general fitness that running for example would develop, and the functional combination of specific muscle development, posture control, and aerobic and anaerobic fitness required for TKD.

I would leave it at 'a minimum level of functional fitness appropriate to the practitioner must be demonstrated in the course of the testing', and leave it to the discretion of the tester to fail people who glaringly miss the mark.

This is normally evident in the course of the test, different people struggle in different areas of the test, for example:

People struggle to spar a full 3x3 min rounds with pauses. This is to be expected and age is a factor. Are they aiming to be a competitor?

People struggle to demonstrate held kicks for breaking due to poor flexibility, posture, balance and muscle condition. This is to be expected, and both age and genetics are factors.

People struggle with SD drills due to all the getting up atfer takedowns. This is where you hide your squats. Increase the pace and intensity of the drills. Again, age, build and genetics are factors.

I would strongly encourage you not to put quantitative measures in there. Everyone is different and quantitative measures leave the tester in a difficult position sometimes. How do you deal with disabilities, for example?

5. Deathnever

Deathnever Member

No, obviously not but thats why im here i'm trying to work it out.
    My school has fitness pretesting for dan testing.

I don't understand what you mean by this statement, hiding squats.

I put up the push ups and squats as an example of what i was thinking for the scaling of testing. it clearly would involve other exercises i just used the first two that came to mind.

Fitness involves many aspects, including flexibility speed, strength, agility, coordination and im sure theres more im not thinking of.

I wanted to add specific body weight exercises within testing to promote proper motions to be honest. I was also thinking of having different standards for different age groups. I didnt want to put benchmarks as points of ability, but as goals that the children should have themselves to push themselves to achieve those given tasks. As for being unable to finish or do all of them, the main portion of the test for me would be to reinforce the idea in which physical training is needed to improve ones technique and ability along side the technical.

As for children with disability, I am not sure on how to figure that out.

Any other suggestions/ comments these are really helpful. I'll probably be posting something up tomorrow as to what i have in mind.

6. Dan Roupe

Dan Roupe New Member

At my original dojang we had endurance testing consisting of increasing pushups and situps as you progressed throught the colored belt ranks. This was done at testing. Once you got to the blackbelt ranks endurance testing was conducted the week prior to black belt testing. We were required to do 100 situps and 100 pushups and complete a 5 mile run. This was for everyone testing for a Dan rank no matter age or gender. I assume that Master Kim either brought that from Korea or he liked to torture us! (ha ha)
    Having said that, I wouldnt do it that way. I believe the suggestion of using a LE or Military standard is fair. Our (USAF) testing scales are about the same as the LE criteria, (pushups, crunches,1.5 mile run) however I think they start at 18yrs old and adjusted every ten years up. You would have to figure out the scale for 17 and below. I would also add that you may want to have an exemption policy (case by case) for some of all of the test based on physical/mental ability ie.. special needs or injury.

The dojang I belong to know doesnt have an endurance test but we are working towards implementing one soon.
    If you need help finding the scales let me know, glad to help.

7. Twiz

Twiz New Member

I don't know if yours has one, but my school has a fitness test. It's around an hour of exercise.

8. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

I would ask why you feel the need to include a seperate fitness test?

Shouldn't the main exam itself be physically demanding?

Also, what if someone is technically very good, can spar well, has solid self defence but can't complete the fitness test?

Overall, I feel that physical fitness tests are a little out of place in martial arts exams. Anything that you are testing in a seperate test can be more appropriately tested during a main exam