Took the plunge

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Melissa, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Just took my black belt test in South Korea. It was at the Kukkiwon Headquarters in Seoul. The experience was amazing, challenging, and nerve wracking. I feel good about my performance and believe that I passed the test, but I won't find out for nearly a month.

Narcsarge likes this.
  2. Tom.D

Tom.D Active Member

Congratulations Melissa, I hope you've done well. you must have been relieved when it was all over :D

Melissa likes this.
  3. Narcsarge

Narcsarge New Member

Congratulations! What a wonderful experience for you.

Melissa likes this.
  4. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

:) A dream to go to Korea. N.A. is so far away from too many places for traveling to.

5. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Thank you all. The relief wasn't immediate, but by the time the bus got back to Cheongju, we were all much more relaxed and ready to celebrate the culmination of our efforts on our various steps of our journeys in Taekwondo.

Tom.D likes this.
  6. ssiidd

ssiidd Active Member

Congratulations, Melissa. Hope all went well! I would love to go to Korea watch a dan grading some day.

Melissa likes this.
  7. UK-Student

UK-Student Active Member

Well done! Best wishes and fingers crossed!

Melissa likes this.
  8. Mark 42

Mark 42 Member

Well done!
    Remember to change your rank on your profile info ;)

Melissa likes this.
  9. Melissa

Melissa New Member

It is very far to travel, but definitely worth it. I've just been so fortunate to work as an ESL teacher and get an opportunity to see and experience foriegn cultures. Korea has an amazing history that is worth seeing firsthand in their museums. And I can't say enough nice things about the food. Taekwondo training has done a great deal to keep my weight reasonable in the presence of such a varied, spicy, and irresistible cuisine.

Tom.D and UK-Student like this.
  10. Melody

Melody Member

Wonderful news Melissa! Can you share what was included in your testing? My boys will be testing this Saturday!

11. Foggy

Foggy Active Member

Well done! I'm sure you will pass fine!

If I can't test under FGMR Rhee then this is something I would like to do for my Black Belt.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the trip cost? And in what currency?

Tom.D likes this.
  12. Melissa

Melissa New Member

The test here is much different than in the US. Actually, a bit too easy. Being raised to consider the American model as standard, I thought I would be asked to exhibit linguistic understanding--for example, counting in the Korean and Sino-Korean model, and reacting to commands with the proper motions--and I sure as heck wanted to break boards.

However, in Seoul, for a first Dan, all you really have to do is memorize the eight poomse and spar with another red belt taking the test. The most difficult part was keeping as calm as possible and recalling all of the forms.

Melody likes this.
  13. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Well, that is hard to answer. I am an English teacher here, so my flight was taken care of. The fee for the test was 160,000 won. That is about $160.00.

UK-Student likes this.
  14. Foggy

Foggy Active Member

That pretty cheep, how long we're you there for?

UK-Student likes this.
  15. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I've been here for a year, and since I resigned, I won't be leaving until June. Most teaching contracts here last one year, and the pay is very competitive and among the best in the ESL market.

UK-Student likes this.
  16. Melody

Melody Member

Sorry I'm late coming back into this conversation.....didn't get an alert in my email :(

Perhaps you may think the test was a bit too easy but your teacher has been observing your performance, attitude, dedication and hard work for awhile. Perhaps this test was simply a formality based upon a predetermined decision of well earned merit :)

UK-Student likes this.