Training in WTF and ITF

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Russell, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Russell

Russell New Member

I'm 68yo and train in WTF Kukkiwon style and have my red belt with black next. (Probably next year.... I hope.)
    I'd like to learn ITF style as well which I did for a while back in the '70s.
    Due to my age I'd like to start ITF now and do both styles at the same time before I get too much older and frail.
    The idea is to get my black Belt in both styles. (Before I run out of time.)
    Does anybody do this or is it not a good idea.
    They seem to do the same kicks blocks and strikes, just different patterns.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

I would recommend getting to 1st Dan in one before taking on the other. They are pretty similar but there are some finer details which can be hard to separate when training both. You will need the time in the run up to 1st dan too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4. Shawchert

Shawchert New Member

You are already so close to your black belt in WT so finish to your first dan and then try ITF! Training in both can be very confusing and you could mix things up. They aren't much different but they are so yean.

5. Russell

Russell New Member

Thanks to you both.
    Yes, I'll do that I think.
    I doubt if I would be good enough at my age to get my 2nd Dan so it would be good to do ITF as another challenge.

6. David Fhu

David Fhu New Member

Hi Rusell,

It really depends on what you have in mind. Some of us just plan to collect the belts. Some of us want to master the skill. Some of us want to help others to be better.

Every different goal leads to a different destination. My Coach wants me to go for every single grading and gain my black as soon as possible. In my mind, I want to master the art of TKD, not just getting a belt. I wanted to help kids in my Dojang to be better and stronger over time, not just myself.

I will recommend doing different martial art if you have free time, instead of doing two different TKD (ITF and WTF). It opens up your knowledge with different martial art, and understand the pro and con of different martial art.

7. Russell

Russell New Member

I do intend to master the skill, I do help the kids with their patterns etc., but I do know that I'll never get 2nd Dan because of my age etc. That's why I like the idea of having the goal of getting my black belt in WT and ITF.
    I watched some Karate but that did nothing for me.
    I spoke to the Head Instructor an the ITF club but he said he doesn't want me in his school while I'm with another club.
    In fact he was a 'bit short" with me about it so I wouldn't go there anyway.
    I'll just stick to what I'm doing I think, much better. ☺

8. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

I wouldn't rule out 2nd dan. The technical requirements / expectations are normally adjusted to be age appropriate. Skill and knowledge should be the best they can be based on the individual's personal circumstances. I don't expect the same from 20 year olds and 40+ year olds. 60+ is something else. It's worth talking to your GM about how those expectations differ. Keep at it!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

9. Russell

Russell New Member

Thanks Gnarlie. ☺