Transportation Preferences

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Tony Butcher, May 1, 2013.

1. Tony Butcher

Tony Butcher Member

I started teaching full time last year and now have 4 clubs, with 2 after-schools clubs and hopefully expanding in the not-so-distant future.

I'm currently using my car to transport all the equipment from club-to-club, which is a bit of a squash in the boot (trunk). However, my car is 14 years old and I know that it will need replacing at some stage soon.

The subject that I'd like some advice on is what to replace it with. I've looked in to small vans and also the possibility of leasing one, which I've been told is better for tax purposes. I'd really appreciate anyone's expertise or experience - good or bad - to help me make a decision. The questions I'm thinking of are as follows:

1) For a full time instructor, is a small van the best/cheapest option, or are estate cars (station wagons) as competitive on pricing?
    2) Is leasing the best option for finance and if so, which type of lease is best suited?
    3) If I do decided to buy/lease a van, are graphics a good idea? I was wondering whether a plain van could attract thieves, believing there may be tools in the back, but graphics could attract thieves targeting training equipment. Or does the awareness created by the graphics, out-weigh any of these points?

I'm currently doing a lot of research in to this, but if anyone has any advice, or experience that they'd like to share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Tony

3. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

I live in the US, so I am not sure some of my comments apply.

1. Wagons are competitive in pricing. They are less popular and less in demand. I would also consider crossovers. We have a 3 year old and just purchased a Mazda 5. Might be the ideal size for you depending on equipment.

2. Whatever you are doing. In the US my advice for business people is to keep business money and personal money separate. So you have your business buy the van and dedicate it's use to business only. As far as lease vs buy, it depends on how you handle your business money, how much you intend to drive (leases typically have a mileage penalty which can be prohibitive) buyout options, etc....

3. I don't know your crime statistics, but if you are insured that makes the issue kind of moot. Get the graphics and make sure there is good info on graphics as to contact information. KISS.

best wishes

4. Tony Butcher

Tony Butcher Member

Thanks for your advice Sah Buh Nim Hulsander. I'm pretty sure that the points that you raise are just as relevant in the UK as they are in the US. There are a few areas there that you mentioned that are definitely worth exploring. Many thanks again.

5. John McNally

John McNally Active Member

I used to use a VW transporter as they are damn reliable and it was crew crabbed so had a few seats that folded down behind the passenger and driver so great for competitions if people want to share travel costs etc

6. Tony Butcher

Tony Butcher Member

Thanks for the tip John. It's always good to hear good recommendations.

7. John McNally

John McNally Active Member

Your welcome Tony