USA Taekwondo Poomsae Competition rules

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by Dan, May 29, 2018.

1. Dan

Dan New Member

Greeting!

I am looking at competing in a Poomsae competition later this year. Since I have not done so in oh... 20 plus years, I figured I should look at the new rules.

The last time I competed, you chose what poomsae to do (within limits based on your belt rank), waited your turn, told the judges what poomsae it would be, and then demonstrated it. Looking at the current rules, it looks like tournament chooses what poomsae you do from a list of recognized poomsae.

From the USA Taekwondo Poomae Rules dated 5-27-2014:
    - Competitors perform one or two forms in each round selected by the USAT Poomsae
    Referee Team from the Compulsory Poomsae.

For the Under 50 division that I would fall in, that list is Taegeuk 8 Jang, Koryo, Keumgang, Taebaek, Pyongwon, Shipjin, Jitae, Chonkwon.

Am I correct in my reading of this that the tournament and or judges can choose *ANY* of poomsae from the Compulsory list? This seems like it would skew the competition toward higher level black belts who would be familiar with the additional forms. Is there anymore more recent experience on this than me who can clarify?

As a 1st Dan I know Taegeuk 8 Jang, Koryo, Keumgang, and some of Taebaek.. I can't claim to know the rest.

Dan

3. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

Assuming USA follows WTF TKD rules, you will actually know what to perform by the time you re-register at competition day. But yes, the poomsae can be anything from the given list. Also I'm not quite sure if the new poomsae for finals have been implemented or not.

4. Dan

Dan New Member

Yes, USA Taekwondo follows the World Taekwondo rules as far as I can tell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro