Uses of Movements within Tuls.

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by John McNally, Mar 26, 2013.

1. John McNally

John McNally Active Member

Choose a move and lets see what the uses are.
    Lets start with the double hooking block and single punch combination in Yul Gok.

The below presumes an opponent facing you and punching at you with a right hand.

Blocking with the first and then the second hook blocking a second punch, thus opening the side of their body rear, to your front punch.
    or
    The first hook blocks a front punch, the second hook catches the opponents fore head and pulling thier body or the head towards your front punch to strike the head or etc.

The below presumes an opponent facing you and punching at you with a left hand.

The first Hook is a block and the second is a block leading to a pull onto your front punch.
    or
    The first hook is to block and hold then the second hook grasps the side of the head or neck of the oponent in front of you with a punch to the Ear, jaw or mid section.

The below presumes two opponents facing you the one to the right punching at you with a right hand, the one to the left uses a reverse turning kick,side kick or hooking kick with thier left leg

Two person attack, the first person to the right been blocked you immediatly, hook the other persons leg and pull them of balance causing injury to thier knee, muscle or otherwise disorientating them for the split second that you punch the other 1st person in the side of thier body or head.

There are many uses for all techniques.

NoBullShitFighting likes this.
  2. NoBullShitFighting

NoBullShitFighting Active Member

Movement number 28, 29, 30 and 31 of Taegeuk Yook Jang, Gam.

Two attackers, one in the front, his friend is behind you. Their tactic is the friend constricts you with grappling and the one in the front punches and kicks you when you're trapped.

The attacker from behind puts you in a overarm headlock. You circlestep behind him and lift him up from the ground with your hands using him as a human shield from the attacker in the front. Then you punch him the person you are holding in the liver like the pattern shows, alternatives are dropping him on your knee or groundslam him, maybe even rotate him for a piledriver, depending on the seriousness of the situation. If the attacker in the front has a knife you may choose to hold on to his friend and bite something of his face and scream like a crazy person with blood running from your mouth that the attacker shall drop his knife or you will kill his friend.

Let us say that in this situation the other attacker is unarmed and the punch neutralized his friend. You take both of your palms up to the face, like in junbi for Koryo and Pyongwon but closer your forehead for a thigter defense, and rotate your hips to block punches to the face, attack with palm hooks targeting his ear or guard with your front punch and do straights for his jaw and solar plexus with your other hand.

John McNally likes this.
  3. Oerjan

Oerjan Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Keumgang Poomsae, Hakdari Seogi Keumgang Arae Makki (One legged stance high/low block): Grab opponents leg and lift with one arm and take the upper body down with the other. Sweep his leg with your leg to take him completly off balance. The "applicaiton photo" is from the Okinawan Bubishi.​
    In Keumgang Poomsae this posture shows up numerous times, and I think that is because you can vary the defense to be against any number of kicks, your can vary the "low block" to pull the opponents hair, ear, elbow him in the face and push his head down with the forearm etc and still retain the same gross movement. The sweep can be omitted, but I would chose a more stable stance if I did and the end position would change into the double block seen in Pal Jang. This is an easier application to do wich accounts for it first showing up in Taegeuk Pal Jang. Look at the picture below:​
    [​IMG]

4. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Taegeuk Yuk Jang only has 23 movements, and I'm not sure which part of the pattern you are referring to but this sounds like fantasy to me as there are no motions in the pattern that even come close to any of this.

5. Gnarlie

I
    The Pal Jang possibility I can agree with, but I see the possibilities for Keumgang Makki rather differently. Standing collar choke and leg sweep / dead leg springs to mind, effectively hanging the opponent under their own weight. The low side block captures the opponents arm across their body, preventing retaliatory actions from their arms.

The tech is done to a slow count of between 5 and 8 seconds, approximately the same amount of time a blood strangle takes to render someone unconscious.

The movements following this action lend themselves to a head grip and turning throw.

6. Oerjan

Oerjan Active Member

Thanks Gnarlie. I have not thought about that possibility before. I do have trouble picturing the capturing of the opponents arms though. The standing collar choke that I have seen looks like this:

and the biggest problem with it is that the opponents arms are free to pummel you untill you give up or he passes out. I know it is a lot to ask and I do not want to be disrespectfull or something but could you please link to a video clip or draw a picture or anything?

7. Gnarlie

8I will describe better.

Let's say the Keumgang makki we are using is left arm high block, right low block.

Let's say we evade a right hand face punch from the opponent by stepping to the left, very close behind his elbow. We are now facing his right shoulder and elbow.

During the evasion, we block and grab his right hand with our right. This will be used to pull him forward and down off balance.

With our left hand, we reach over his right arm and grab his left lapel. With a high block motion, we pull it across to his right side under his chin, and up the side of his face closer to us. This motion is opposed by pulling down on his arm.

He could in theory escape from this by turning his body, so to prevent that from happening we use the point of our right knee to the pressure point in the middle of his right thigh, dead legging him and making him unable to stand.

Incidentally, have you ever considered low X block as a collar choke...?

8. Oerjan

Oerjan Active Member

Thanks gnarlie for your detailed description. I will see if I can try it out (gently) on my next "taekwondo-playdate". The x block as a choke I have seen on the basics of bunkai article series on iainabernethy.com :) it used to be a very perplexing move but it is usefull. I even used it as a block once without being punched in the head:)

9. Gnarlie

You are welcome. I have read many of your articles with interest and will continue to do so - thank you too.

Be careful with this technique as with thin dobok collars there are 2 dangers: strangulation, and friction burns. A lovely red horizontal line right across the neck. Not easy to explain away at work! Go slow at first.

I hope you can make sense of it.

10. Nightwing

Nightwing Member

DO-SAN: Wedge block, front kick, 2 punches-

Opponent attacks with high circular hand technique (haymaker and the like) with right hand to left side of our head.

Defender steps into front stance performing wedge block; left outer forearm goes to there bicep (to intercept attack) as our right outer forearm strikes them in the side of the neck (hands then "hook" onto opponents (think of making upside down J's)). The front kick for close quarters is executed as follows; the chamber is a knee to the groin (pull them into with "J's") and the actual kick is directed downward at opponents (in)side knee (their left is this example). This strike causes the opponents leg to bend bringing their head forward. The double punch is actually a neck break; the left hand goes to the back of their head as the right goes to their chin (prep for punch) chin is twisted one way and then violently the other (double punch).