Using only soft stretching to increase flexibility

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Soft stretching= sitting positions whereby you widen the hip incrementally.

This has been the only effective stretching routine for me. Everything else where you force the stretching has only caused me pain and setbacks in flexibility. And let's just say TMA schools all incorporate such routines based on 80s science...

My question: Is there a point of diminishing returns using this method. Do you need to at one point upgrade your stretching challenges if you want to make the next step in flexibility or will I be able to further climb in static flexibility using this method only?

2. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

It's different for everyone. It's a personal thing, but in my experience a range of approaches including static passive, static active, dynamic passive and dynamic active are most effectivein making progress. And even then, there are plateaus.

PNF and CRAC can help, but are overrated for general hobby sport practitioners. You need strength and body awareness for them to really be effective, otherwise they can do more harm than good.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

So at least it isn't black and white like push-ups. Push-ups are known to give diminishing returns eventually. They maintain what you've build up but the body then needs a step-up in the challenge if you want to make further advancements.

4. Gnarlie

Depends on your physiology - flexibility I mean, not push ups.

Some people will need to use more than just their own body weight and static stretching to reach their flexibility goals. Unless you are genetically flexible, that probably includes you. You will reach a point you can't pass without changing up your approach.

It's what makes flex and stretch such a great personal journey.

5. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

You really include me in genetically flexible category or you mean the opposite?

It's easy to see here that my flexibility is a forward momentum trick.. I am stiff as a a wooden table statically

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  6. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I was surprised I could do that one year off though. My knee is unusually high up there before extention.

So I made some incremental progress by simply resting my body from kicking and stretching.

Which makes no sense...

7. Gnarlie

It was a conditional statement - whether you are flexible is something only you can say.

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Oh okey. My guess is that I will probably reach diminishing returns fairly soon then using this method only.

9. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

How about over time? Is there a certain age when a non flexible person will lock up and stretching does not sufficiently bite anymore?

The old men we see do the splits are naturally flexible. So whatever decrease they have isn't big enough to override their innate attribute.

I'm interesting in people who are not naturally flexible. How their time line looks.

10. Gnarlie

Depends on the person, their lifestyle and routine.