Vacuum of leadeeship at the Kukkiwon

Discussion in 'The Dojang' started by tkdwarrior, Nov 9, 2014.

1. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior New Member

Now I understand why it seems that kukki taekwondo is goimg into several directions and yearly rules are revised.

Politics and the numbers game have really affected this great art of ours.

Our martial art rose from obscurity to where it is now because I believe that the unity and focus was there....hell if this goes on I will not be surprised if in the future it breaks up into many factions just like the way karate did.

All it takes is a unifying factor to be gone. When that happens the shhh will really hit the fan.

2. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

The WTF is responsible for competition rules and their revision. What rules have Kukkiwon revised?

Which different directions do you see in Kukkiwon Taekwondo?
    Change and progress are not necessarily bad things. Politics and the numbers game have not affected my Taekwondo at all. Have you let them affect yours? Probably not. And I am sure a lot of competent practitioners out there would say no too. An art is only comprised of its practitioners. We are the keepers of our art and without us is nothing. We can help to make it what it should be.
    It never was fully unified and there are already a great number of factions both in the US and Europe. Kukkiwon just happens to be the largest.
    So what is the vacuum of leadership to which your title refers? If you see problems with the way things are being run, why don't you become a member of the world Taekwondo leader's forum, or provide that feedback to someone who is a member? We are the keepers of our art, and there is more to be gained from spending our time making it into what we want it to be, than from complaining about it. You just need to get your voice heard in the right place.

3. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior New Member

Correct that is why I am posting here. Hopefully somebody could send it higher up. And I beg to disagree that it has affected us in more ways than one in training the next generation of competitors for wtf competitions.

4. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

If you don't like the nature of competition, don't do it. Competition is only a small part of Kukki TKD. If you have let competition become the core of what you do, that's on you - Kukkiwon is not to blame. The decisions about what you practice lie in your hands. If you prefer more martial than sport, then there are many other aspects you can focus on. Problems only arise when people start confusing competitive sport with martial art.

This is not the right place to voice your opinion if you want it to be heard and make a difference to how Kukkiwon manages Taekwondo. That can only happen via actual contact with Kukkiwon via a high ranking instructor or as part of the World Taekwondo Leader's Forum.

I ask again - what is the vacuum of leadership to which your title refers?

5. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

And AFAIK there are only two governing bodies who maintain competition and its rules: WTF and ITF, other affiliations simply use either rule for their competition. Kukkiwon has none.