Very new to TKD

Discussion in 'The Dojang' started by RobGee789, Jul 16, 2014.

1. RobGee789

RobGee789 New Member

Hey guys I'm new here and am getting ready to start WTF taekwondo, I'm 30 years old and a bit overweight and very unfit and not very flexible at all, so I know I'm going to struggle to start with (as everyone does) but I was going to start working out and try to improve my overall fitness and flexibility before I start (I don't want to be the fat bloke having a heart attack in the corner lol), so could any one give me suggestions on some exercises to help me out and how often to do them please. Any help is greatly appreciated

2. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

1. Run
    2. Run
    3. Run
    4. Aerobic then stretching
    The first 3 has to be done in consistent manner, 5 minutes everyday is a good start. You can gradually increase to as long as you want but 15 minutes is enough to make you different from most people. Running forms your stamina, running helps lowering your weight and shapes your body, running increases your body temperature for a safer warm stretching. Aerobic bridges your body alacrity and stretching. Finally, stretching increases your flexibility. I really don't suggest cold stretching for someone without enough and consistent workout experience, especially at somewhat late age, as the chance of having injury is quite high. Contrary to running, stretching shouldn't be done too often. A two days stretching followed by one day rest is a good choice. Stretching pulls your muscle, so it needs recovery time and an overstretch might break the tissue (I've had a big one on my right hamstring and a smaller one on my left, both takes 3 and 1 months to recover, respectively). Though must be done carefully, it also shouldn't be done to soft as you will need longer time to get, say a full split. Check your improvement every week or so (for a split, measure the distance between your groin and the floor). Good luck.

RobGee789 likes this.
  3. RobGee789

RobGee789 New Member

Thanks for the tips mate do you have any favourite or suggested stretches I should do to get me off to a good start and my neighbour suggested skipping, is skipping really good for coordination?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  4. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

Look up one of the myriad of couch to 5k programs
    skip rope
    learn how to stretch (dynamic vs static) (www.stadion.com)
    Work on diet.

Enjoy

RobGee789 likes this.
  5. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

I say just do it. It's amazing how many people want to get fit before they join a gym or martial arts class. It's a special kind of self-blocking which is the number one reason why people don't achieve what they want to achieve fitness wise. Starting is half of the battle. Most of have us been that fat bloke having a heart attack in the corner and fought our way through it. Sport Taekwondo training will make you fit, flexible, and coordinated. Everyone starts at square one, and there's not a lot you can do to prepare yourself for what's coming - it will be challenging no matter what - that's the fun of it. Begin at the beginning and enjoy the journey.

RobGee789 likes this.
  6. Gnarlie

By the way, when I started I was 14 kg heavier than I am now, and very very unfit. I smoked, drank and couch potatoed. It's all good now.

RobGee789 likes this.
  7. AliPat

AliPat New Member

I am sure the above is very good, but not everyone can run. I can do TKD for a full 2 hours, I can do an aerobics class for 2 hours, I can play badminton for 2 hours but I cannot run for more than a couple of minutes. Running is not everything. You will gain fitness and stamina through doing TKD. Once you have done a few lessons you will get some idea of what extra training is ideal for you

RobGee789 likes this.
  8. Mario Ray Mahardhika

I don't really believe that if running is done properly. Indeed, running also requires proper technique. How do you step (affects impact of momentum when your body touches the ground), how do you position your upper body (affects force vector), where do you look at (affects air flow), etc. it all matters. I had a student with heart disease, in the first weeks she could only run for about 5 minutes before her face turns red and had to stop running. But after a couple of months she could run for 10 minutes just fine. Even she tried the physical training class which involves non-stop 1 hour running with 50 push-ups, sit-ups and back-ups in between. Can you do a full time senior level sparring (3x 2 minutes, 30 seconds break) without getting out of breath? If not, something is wrong with your training (or your health).

RobGee789 likes this.
  9. John Hulslander

I would say that there is a segment of the population that isn't suited to running.
    Those with severe joint issues, asthma issues, etc...

That being said same issues might make TKD a stretch as well.

What is nice about the couch to 5k type programs is that they are meant for the person who is way out of breath after 30 seconds of jogging.

RobGee789 likes this.
  10. RobGee789

RobGee789 New Member

I've found a couple of couch to 5k apps so I'm gonna give them a try and see how I go but just chasing my eating habits and walking a lot more I've lost 8lb in 2 weeks

John Hulslander likes this.
  11. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Well yes, those with injuries are not supposed to. But I don't think people with (non-alergic) asthma should not run, too. Running can help them solve the disease. While I've got a student with heart disease, one of my partner in the same club had one with asthma. 2 years of training and he no longer takes inhaler.

12. John Hulslander

Well done.
    Don't let a lower level of fitness deter you from class. A number of features of a well run TKD class can only enhance your healthful improvement.

RobGee789 likes this.
  13. RobGee789

RobGee789 New Member

Hey guys I've been having a bit of lower back pain lately and need to strengthen my core what are the exercises to do that will help my core and back at the same time

14. Gnarlie

Go to the doctor and make sure it's not a herniated disc…back pain is never good.

15. RobGee789

RobGee789 New Member

I've had the pain for a while and it comes and and it's definitely in the muscle my massage chair sorts it right out but I think if I up my core muscle it will help out a lot

16. LMath

LMath New Member

I am 34 and started a few months ago. I was 50 pounds overweight and have already dropped 35 pounds just by training regularly and altering my diet. I eat a lot of baked fish and meats along with salads and water. Those simple changes have helped me quite a bit.

17. Nik Cannon

Nik Cannon New Member

Go see an osteopath, I suffered with lower back pain for years, doctors just prescribed painkillers, physio and acupuncture didn't work for long, turned out I have mild scoliosis ( curvature of the spine) now because the pain caused me to alter my posture. I would get searing pain in my thigh, my feet would go numb, and I struggled to walk, never mind run! After 12 sessions I was back running pain free, last week we were do standing squats with colleagues on our back, my partner weighed 17 stone ( 108kg) and I was fine.
    Doing press ups, and planks will help your core, maybe some yoga too every few days ( I use the yoga studio app) will help any stiffness and with maintaining flexibility

18. canadiankyosa

canadiankyosa Active Member

Note that almost all martial arts teach classic stretching which is not efficient by modern standards. A person in their forties and fifties and up can get into a full side and front split in 6-8 months, give or take. Spend U.S. $10 on Amazon.com for Tom Kurz's Stretching Scientifically ebook or actual book (4th edition). Videos are also available for those who wish to see the way it is done by some about 60 years old. Avoid buying the clinic disc as, overall, it is not really beneficial to you so the second link is a much better dvd to get instead of the clinic and is much newer than Stretching Scientifically but the info is still the same.

http://www.stadion.com/bundle-kickers/

http://www.stadion.com/flexibility-express/

Skipping rope is better than running because it is lower impact and it is great for co-ordination. Almost all martial artists do calisthenics and call this a warm-up. This is a fallacy and is a sign of a poorly taught person. A warm is about anything cardiovascular. Calisthenics are not really cardio exercises except for "jumping jacks" which an well-trained person will tell you to avoid because there is no sport that really uses that movement. I would say trade them for "stride jumps" which is moving the feet forward and backward instead of side to side and the hands can go sideways or forward like marching

Cold stretching is fine when you relax. Flexibility is, primarily, a lack of relaxed muscles and not "lengthening" (muscle cannot get longer per se). Also. it is a myth that flexibility reduces and prevents injury. What it really does is increases the range of motion and thereby the injury occurs past that new ROM. Also, injury occurs because a muscles snaps back too fast especially when not relaxed first. It is not uncommon to pull a muscle when sleeping.

You go into the stretch until you feel a slight pull. Hold this position for as long as it takes to relax the muscle. When you feel the muscle relax, increase the stretch until a resistance is again felt. Do this 3-5 times per session. Relaxed stretches can be done anytime, anywhere and as many times a day as you wish. When doing hyung/poomse, kicking, and punching, avoid any kind of traditional static stretching beforehand. They weaken the muscles and thereby decrease power generation. Dynamic stretches (front high rising kick with a hand our front for a target is needed for beginners) are the stretches done prior to dynamic exercises.

An interview with Kurz on stretching:

http://www.stadion.com/interview-on-flexibility-and-strength-for-physidex/

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017